What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Possibility of no PS4?

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Sony sidelines PS3 mastermind Kutaragi

Quoted from Financial Times

By Leo Lewis in Tokyo
Published: November 30 2006 18:58 | Last updated: December 1 2006 04:41

Ken Kutaragi, the maverick Sony engineer behind all three generations of PlayStation games consoles, will on Friday become chairman and chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment in a management reshuffle that underscores Sony's difficulties in the video games market.
The surprise move, though technically a promotion, removes Mr Kutaragi from the day-to-day running of Sony’s games division at a critical moment.
ADVERTISEMENT

With the PlayStation3 only just past its difficult launches in Japan and the US, Sony is desperate to ensure that its complicated machine triumphs in the holiday shopping season. The company described the changes as “strengthening” its management line-up.
In the longer-term, the PS3 faces stiff competition from Microsoft and Nintendo and a European launch next March for which some analysts fear it is not fully prepared.
Replacing Mr Kutaragi as Sony Computer Entertainment’s global president and chief operating officer will be Kazuo Hirai, a veteran of SCE’s US division, who prematurely claimed four years ago that the era of console wars was over.
Investors know Mr Hirai as a slicker, more confident presenter than Mr Kutaragi. He is also understood to have stronger working relationships with American, European and Japanese games makers.
Analysts said that Mr Hirai’s promotion to a global role at SCE could mark a critical shift in management thinking, with Sony changing its emphasis so that the current generation of games console will be its last as a hardware manufacturer.
“The appointment of Hirai could be the start of a shift from hardware to software,” said Yuta Sakurai, an analyst at Nomura. “I cannot now imagine a PlayStation4.”
Mr Sakurai said that Mr Hirai’s new global portfolio puts a predominantly software-focused manager in charge of the company, adding that SCE’s future would be shaped by Mr Hirai’s relationship with Phil Harrison, the president of SCE’s worldwide studios.
Analysts argue that while Mr Kutaragi, a brilliant engineer, was the right man to run SCE as a hardware powerhouse, Sony may now see better opportunities as a pure maker of games.
Sony has taken a big financial risk investing in the PS3, and according to some estimates the company will still be making losses on the console for some years. Recouping that loss will depend on Sony’s own ability to make popular games, and to nurture close relationships with third-party studios.
Other analysts played down the significance of the reshuffle, arguing that Mr Kutaragi would retain tight control of the division he made so powerful within Sony.
Mr Hirai’s role, as KBC analyst Hiroshi Kamide sees it, will be to use his superior communications skills to smooth-over SCE’s relationships with third-party games companies – relationships badly strained by the repeated delays of the PS3 launch, and the limited number of machines available even now.

M

Misoprostol

Interesting, but I don't think it's worth much without any official word from Sony. I think it's silly to think that Sony would pull out of the hardware race entirely. The only thing limiting them right now is the number of consoles they can get out the door. It's not like they couldn't be making money if they didn't want to. They could have released the PS3 for $1000 and people still would have bought every last one. That's what I think they should have done, personally...

DevilUknow

Sony is in dangerous territory right now.

They have a very powerful yet expensive system with no games that are worth the price of entry for at least a year and terrible word of mouth an press.

I've also heard that it is a beast to work with on the development side.

I'd say that Sony can afford this for at most a year (since there is a Spider-man movie coming out next year). After that it is sink of swim.

omgwtf

You guys thinking of ps4 already?
Damn...ps3 doesn't even has one year on the market and you think of the 4 :)

magictorch

well sounds like a plan

Perhaps the days of the console are numbered.

It would make sense to consolidate profits into "serious" software development and focus on hardware succession on a PC platform rather than multiple platforms at one time...ie. pc, xbox, ps3, wee

Hardware moves at a faster pace on the PC and most gamers own a PC. Software developers are perhaps stretched over too many platforms at one time.

However what happens to those who don't want to build a system and pay for a console instead?

Hopefully more people will catch on thats its easier to build a PC than you think.

Although huge companies investing in options like blueray or the cell chip is an interesting albeit expensive move. Blueray disk players are still expensive on PCs but can the ps3 recoup the loss through its games?

Personally I think the software developers will work much more effectively with ONE hardware platform! And companies like SONY, Microsoft need to have games that compete on the same hardware platform for games to evolve more quickly.

Drew

Most gamers do not own a PC capable of running modern PC games. Consoles dominate the market by a huge degree. There are less PC games released in a year than in a typical busy month for consoles.

Drew

The sum total of all of the people here would represent a fraction of a percentage of gamers, we are a small overall percentage of the "gamer" community. The typical gamer is an elementary/early high schooler with a $599 PC bought from bestbuy and a sh*tpile of nintendo systems and games.

Gamashinoch

The sum total of all of the people here would represent a fraction of a percentage of gamers, we are a small overall percentage of the "gamer" community. The typical gamer is an elementary/early high schooler with a $599 PC bought from bestbuy and a sh*tpile of nintendo systems and games.

yes yes yes. People on this site and other sites like this are a drop in the bucket of PC buyers less than 10% I'd say. Staples/Futureshop. If those craptastic desktops they overpriced didn't sell they wouldn't build them with what they had (7300 SE's, Accelerator 950's, 6100 SE) I've seen a quad core....yes quad core system with 3gb of RAM and a 7300 SE as video for $1500 at futureshop. What game is gonna run as intended on that unbalanced slice, and why does a ma and pa need a quad to begin with?

A console works. And plays IT's games flawlessly. No turning down graphics, no patches, no choppiness (unless it's poorly written).

The PS3 will catch on (hopefully). Alot of people like Resistance (I don't) but those are the ones who are keeping the flame alive. Heavenly Sword just got released, the demo is friggin' sweet. If I had extra coin I'd go grab it. The reason I bought a PS3 (Lair) just got released. Hopefully I'm not disappointed.

magictorch

console verses pc

I've played through many generations of consoles since the first Ataris. The only one that really blew me away at the time verses the PC was the nintendo 64/PS1 with goldeneye or tomb raider.

There are many PC games targeted at a much wider age-range than console games which if anything are much more kid/teen orientated. There are also many people other than kids/teens who enjoy games as much as a movie.

Plus you can use a PC for work. For me a PC makes more sense as you can upgrade components easily and it covers aspects of entertainment and work nicely. You cant really upgrade or tune consoles-kind of boring.

I think there are a lot of older people brought up with "pcs" through the 80/90's with families who enjoy the range of a PC. Personally I know very few people in my generation who do not tailor their PCs to their needs. But i could be an oddball here.

The PS3 is a nice product, I guess we will see what happens. But if it makes games for kids and teens?

Latest posts