What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Possible file server/hosting server

Mistertuxedopants

Hello HWC,

So currently I am using my 27" iMac to store all my media/files and hosting my website. I have some parts laying around so i was thinking that i would build a file server and use my iMac for what I intended in the first place, programming/photo/media/everything else.

The parts I have are:
Asus p5q-e
Intel q6600 /w stock Cooler
DVD-RW
4x2TB Western Digital Greens
2x2TB Western Digital My Books (External)
2GB mushkin
video card ( can't remember what the model is)

I plan to use Ubuntu Server.

What I need:

A case, doesn't have to be a server case. I was actually thinking about Coolermaster HAF 912. The only requirement i am looking for is good air flow and lots of space for hard drives.

NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound - COOLERMASTER - RC-912-KKN1 - in Canada

A PSU, i am not sure what to get here. I don't know how much power I need. Video card is going to be very low end so most of the power is going to hard drives. I was thinking this

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan *2 Year Wrty* - Corsair - CMPSU-500CX - in Canada

Ok here is what i was thinking. Is my current parts enough for a file server? What do u think about the parts i need? Please advice.

Thanks
MTP:clap:

misterd

It's lots and then some. The case will do and the power supply should be fine as long as you don't load up the video card (hard to say without model) and cpu too much at once. Have fun.

JD

Staff member
Should do you fine, although you don't really need a Q6600, but if that's all you have then so be it.

You may not even need the video card installed once you get everything setup if you want to reduce your power consumption a bit.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I'm using a Fractal R3 for my file server, which houses 8 1Tb drives in Raid 6. Does a great job.
Try to use a board with onboard GPU, less power consumption. No need for a DVD.
Then share the drives over the network, and if you need access to the OS simply RDC into it.
That's what I do. Works great.

Mistertuxedopants

I'm using a Fractal R3 for my file server, which houses 8 1Tb drives in Raid 6. Does a great job.
Try to use a board with onboard GPU, less power consumption. No need for a DVD.
Then share the drives over the network, and if you need access to the OS simply RDC into it.
That's what I do. Works great.

What are u using for an OS?

Thanks

frontier204

WD Documentation [Edit:] Check out the power consumption figures. You really don't have to factor HDDs into PSU choice unless you have 10 of them or something.

For power, unless you fold or something like that, I doubt your computer will draw more than 80W (from internals) in normal operation. My old home server with Core2Duo E6400, no GPU, and three hard drives drew about 65W from the wall idle, and ~110W starting up. This was with a GUI-less Linux.

If you don't pick an overkill GPU with PCIE supplemental power, you'd be fine with a *good* 300W power supply if it has enough cables. A bad PSU (like the ones Hardware Secrets / JohnnyGuru say are just within spec or out of spec) will periodically kill hard drives.

JD

Staff member
I'm using a Fractal R3 for my file server, which houses 8 1Tb drives in Raid 6.
Me too, but it's a bit expensive compared to the HAF912. I also have a dual-bay 5.25" to 3x 3.5" rack so I have a total of 10 drives in mine (able to hold 1 more!). Up to the OP to decide if he wants to spend more or not I guess.

My server pulls 127W from the wall under typical load. Granted I'm running Hyper-V as well though. I have the following specs:

• Intel Core i5 2500K
  • Gigabyte GT210
  • LSI 9211-4i (SAS/RAID card)
  • Dual Intel Gigbit CT NICs
  • 4x Samsung F3 1TB (7200RPM)
  • 2x Samsung F4 2TB (~5900RPM, “eco” drive)
  • 2x Western Digital Black 640GB (7200RPM)
  • 2x Samsung F3 500GB (7200RPM)
  • Seasonic S12II 520W (80+ bronze certified)

Mistertuxedopants

Me too, but it's a bit expensive compared to the HAF912. I also have a dual-bay 5.25" to 3x 3.5" rack so I have a total of 10 drives in mine (able to hold 1 more!). Up to the OP to decide if he wants to spend more or not I guess.

My server pulls 127W from the wall under typical load. Granted I'm running Hyper-V as well though. I have the following specs:

• Intel Core i5 2500K
  • Gigabyte GT210
  • LSI 9211-4i (SAS/RAID card)
  • Dual Intel Gigbit CT NICs
  • 4x Samsung F3 1TB (7200RPM)
  • 2x Samsung F4 2TB (~5900RPM, “eco” drive)
  • 2x Western Digital Black 640GB (7200RPM)
  • 2x Samsung F3 500GB (7200RPM)
  • Seasonic S12II 520W (80+ bronze certified)

that is a nice list of hardware for your server.
what are you running for an OS?

Latest posts