What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Possible PSU issue?

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Have you checked the video card temps using GPU-Z?

Basically, open GPU-Z and navigate to the Sensors tab. Then check off the box that allows GPU-Z to run in the background. Run a program until it black screens and alt-tab to GPU-Z. Click on the the Core Temperature button until "Max" appears. Note the temperature. Anything higher than 90C on a GF104 core can very well cause thermal lockdown.

Bao

Have you checked the video card temps using GPU-Z?

Basically, open GPU-Z and navigate to the Sensors tab. Then check off the box that allows GPU-Z to run in the background. Run a program until it black screens and alt-tab to GPU-Z. Click on the the Core Temperature button until "Max" appears. Note the temperature. Anything higher than 90C on a GF104 core can very well cause thermal lockdown.

Thanks for the tip, going to give it a try tonight!

If that's not the issue, I wonder what else could be the problem? I am running the PC through a Denon 2307-CI receiver to a Sharp LC E77U LCD TV. I just wonder if my older receiver just isn't playing nice with the PC. Then again I only have issues while playing PC games. Watching movies etc are fine >_<

martin_metal_88

Try ATI tools to scan for artifact, I would also do a memteston your system just because it's always in the troubleshooting path:) To me it's clearly a GPU related problem, but even the board ( when running sli ) can be the issue.

Bao

Some updates!

Also thanks for the advice and suggestions guys.

Max temps according to GPU-Z was 82C at 850mhz.

Problems were still occurring at stock clocks (715mhz). So I yanked the cards, removed the coolers, cleaned off the thermal paste, re-applied the OCZ Freeze, and re-attached the coolers. This time I didn't tighten down the screws as much. It's not perfect, but the black screens are not happening as much and no full on black screen of deaths. Temps are actually cooler now too. I think I can find the right balance of pressure, and hopefully that solves the problem.

Curiously enough clocking the memory too high on the video cards causes problems with the Dawn of War II built in benchmark. At 800/2000 over 60fps average, but minimum is 1 FPS LOL.

800/1950 has a similar average FPS, but minimum is 37.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter