What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Possible Scam E-mail Sent to Multiple Steam Users

kilted Frog

Hey everybody,

For all you Steam users, a word of warning. I received a very suspicious email early this morning that looks like a possible attempt to steal my username and password for Steam. This email was sent out to roughly 35 people.

Here is the email:
----------
Steam Support <support@steampowered.com>

Dear user.
Your steam contact information has been expired. Please refresh your contact information or your account will be locked. For refresh follow this link: Login

Thanks!
-----------

Clicking on the bottom link brings you to a very well made up "Steam" page that immediately asks for Username and Password. Notice in that bottom link, "steampowered" is misspelled; there are two "e"s in poweerd.

Everything about this screams scam. I've sent an email thru Steam to ensure this is indeed a scam. I don't know if anyone else has received an email like this, but I ask you ignore it as a request for account information should never be mass-emailed to multiple users.

I'll keep you posted when Steam answers my inquiry.

- Chris

sswilson

Staff member
Never, ever, ever follow an email link like that. If there is a real concern about contact information, then go to the website yourself and update the information from the official user CP.

The only exception is for initial registration to a website/service where you're expecting an email with a verification link in it.

BeaverBender

That will be the next scam, intercepting registration e-mails and leading people elsewhere... I bet people are already working on that, and actually I can see that it wouldn't be too hard to do considering that it would be very easy to ascertain the addresses of these servers. Hmmmm

Omega_Phoenix

First thing I look at in any email like this is the code in the link. Especially with Blizzard/Battle.net and Steam emails. Always make sure to look closely at them because sometimes they'll substitute similar letters to fool you, eg. "battie.net"

Latest posts

Twitter