What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Possible Stuttering Fix at a loss

Ash

I will try to keep this short, since I did this build I have been having problem with stuttering mainly it is while gaming. In COD Black Ops it's not too bad, but I play a racing game and it stuttering like crazy. No matter if I turn shadows off or on make no difference. This problem seem's to always exist regardless of what settings I run.

Now I have had two different cards in this system, a 5850 1gb and also now a msi 460 hawk 1gb. Same problem. It's odd too because it seems I will start playing it seems fine but then it's like something starts loading I don't know if it's textures. I don't have any programs running in the background either.

I am running 260.99's, seems best with those ones. Now I guess I am curious is it at all possible a HDD could be causing these problems? I am getting an SSD and caviar green in the next 2 days and I will find out for sure. But it had CRC errors,98 I think and mentioned something about a bad cable.

Now I downloaded Seagate tools (it's a maxtor drive) and it failed the Short DST test, I am running the long one also now, I am sure it will fail other tests also.

I have never experienced a hard drive going bad could it be possible this is the reasoning for some of my problems? The HDD was the ONLY thing I did not replace in my build which is approximately 6 months old now.

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
Hard drives can absolutely cause stuttering in games. I've seen it on WD blacks before they go bad, and SSDs just prior to me RMA'ing it.
Drop in a new drive, reinstall OS and new video, motherboard and sound drivers.. and give it a go.

Ash

Thank's, I was starting to go crazy trying to figure out what could be causing this. I guess the only part I didn't replace was the culpret. Can't wait to get my SSD on Thursday, with the caviar green for storage.
Hopefully the Muskin 64GB for OS and a few games, and caviar green 1tb works ok together. I got 5 yrs out of that old hdd, time for replacing.

Ash

I appreciate the response to my stuttering issue. I am ordering my ssd tomorrow. But before I can't for the life of my find my sata cables from the mobo. There is so many different manufactures of cables is there a wrong one to get. I know the one that came with it came with right angle. I know some are just flat etc.

I know some say sata I and II etc, some are 3.0gb and some are up to 6.0. Just want to be double sure before I order.

I am thinking of getting the following:

Newegg.ca - Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AARS-FR 640GB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

For the storage. Good price, hopefully recertified isn't a problem.

And for the SSD:

Newegg.ca - Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL60GB-DX 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Should this treat me good?

I was looking at this cable btw -- StarTech 18-inch SATA Hard Drive Cable: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Thank's for the help.

matsta31

yep it works. Right angle is just for ease of plugging, depending how the mobo / Hard drive slots are located.

Recertified means a 90 days warrenty on the drive.

Ash

I just received my SSD Muskin 60gb and the green caviar ... Is it recommended to let the drives come up to room temperature before installing them?
They are ice cold, just want to make sure it won't cause any damage, I don't mind letting them come up to room temp.

frontier204

I assume they already warmed up by now, but you can look at the operating temperature of the hard drive. I let them warm up anyway not for the temperature but for the condensation to dry up (assuming the components didn't have dessicant inside the bag).

Ash

There was just a bit of condensation on the hdd as it began to warm up, I am going to wait about another 30 mins and install them to be sure.

Ash

Well they are both installed, but its seeing the SSD and Caviar, but only the SSD in windows. Been forever since I installed a drive, I thought maybe I didn't put the jumper
on the drive but I don't have one. So if that is the case I will need to get one.

Come to the conclusion I am ditching then 900 antec case, The HDD casing isn't even matching up with the holes for the bay. That was the only frustrating part of this.
W7 installed in 8 minutes and is super fast. Love it.

If I could just fix my storage drive I would be all set.

BTW The drive shows up in device manager just not in my computer ...Appears it's just not initialized. I went to diskmgmt.msc and it comes up with a pop up I just cancelled off of it. Right clicked on what is labelled as drive 0 but I get no option to initialize.

Latest posts