What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Post your Home Theatre

JD

Staff member
Here's my 2ndary basement setup:

IMG_3593.jpg

Older 40" Sony Bravia KDL-series, 60Hz.
Yamaha YHT3028HD HTIB. Rather solid system for $400 IMO. Came with the HTR-3063 receiver (4 HDMI inputs), 8" powered sub, "large" bookshelves up front and "medium" rears.

And yes, there is a computer crammed into that right-most cube :whistle:

Still need to get some cord-covers though...

NightRain

Hey guys, so after many months of waiting my house if finally done. We took possession of the house on Wednesday February 16. I bought the Epson 8700UB and a Dragonfly 100" 1.2 gain matte white screen the next day on February 17. After a lot of stuff to be moved and some essensial items completed I was finally able to built/mount the screen and mount the projector on February 24. I completed the connection of my AV components and speakers on February 25. My friends and I watched the live UFC event on February 26, I streamed online from UFC.TV and it looks amazing. I have displayed some kids cartoons on it for my one year old daughter and watched Die Hard on Blu-ray on Sunday. I've played a little Xbox 360 and it all looks fantastic in THX mode. my room has a stairway opening and lets light in during the day as well as two large above ground windows. I have put blackout curtains up to the windows, but even with lights on the THX image looks pretty good, albeit a little washed out. But my daughter still enjoyed it. I have about 14 hours on the lamp right now, I do notice some slight redness in the lower right corner, but it isn't much and was really only noticeable playing NHL 11 on the white ice.

So far I've done very little testing as I'm still unpacking and what not. I will say the convergence pattern on the Disney WOW dvd looks pretty good. I'm very happy so far overall. I'll post some in action pictures and test patterns later when I get more time to play.

In the mean time here are some photos of my room, please ignore the mess, especially behind the sofa. This (like the majority of my house) is still a work in progress.

My setup consists of:

Epson 8700UB Projector
Dragonfly 100" 1.2 gain matte white screen
Mustang Universal Flat Projector mount
Yamaha RX-V3900 AV Receiver
250GB Xbox 360S
320GB Slim PS3
White Wii
Toshiba A3 HD-DVD
Belkin PureAV PF60 power console
Energy C-500 fronts
Energy C-C100 center
Energy CR-10 side surrounds
Energy RC-Mini rear surrounds

I presently don't have a dedicated HT PC and don't know I want/need one. I used my Alienware M11x to stream HD video so far and it works great, even 1080p youtube content looks awesome. The yellow wires you see are ethernet and hdmi for my laptop. I also have a media center IR connection for remote control and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It worked great so far.

(I was going to use Energy C-200 bookshelf speakers for side or rear but they were too big and difficult to find mounts so I bought CR-10's for the sides and couldn't be happier with them)

The stand under my center has two components in it now but they won't be staying there. There will be know components in this stand. The shelfs in the middle will hold my game controllers and the side doors open to media shelfs that hold 212 DVD's so I'll be storing all my video games in that. I plan on getting wall mounted shelfs to store all my DVD/HDDVD/BLURAY. I am waiting on two red leather sofa's, I was suppose to have them but Sears messed up. they will be going in and the brown sofa comes out.

Please let me know what you think.

img2342j.jpg

img2345.jpg

img2353.jpg

img2347.jpg

Main seating area is 16' and the projector throw distance is 17' 4". my second sofa will be on the side wall and will not as good for watching but this is more a multi purpose room than a dedicated HT room.

lcdguy

Folding Team
nice. I am glad to see another person bitten by the projector bug :). In regards to the redness i would try some of the other color modes. On mine i think i use theater black 2. But then again i don't have the exact same projector as you. The other cartoon you should try out if you haven't already seen it is Big Buck Bunny it's a animated short made completely on opensource software and it's in HD and free :)

Arinoth

Staff member
Projector is how i want my home theatre room to look whenever i am done school, am working, and can afford the money. I've already gotten the go ahead from my fiancee in allowing me to have a home theatre room as its something she would enjoy as well.

NightRain

nice. I am glad to see another person bitten by the projector bug :). In regards to the redness i would try some of the other color modes. On mine i think i use theater black 2. But then again i don't have the exact same projector as you. The other cartoon you should try out if you haven't already seen it is Big Buck Bunny it's a animated short made completely on opensource software and it's in HD and free :)

I`ve heard others with the Epson 8700UB mention the red hue and they all said it went away as the projector was used more, sometimes around 100 hours and sometimes upto 200 hours. So I plan on waiting it out since it is the only thing I see right now and it does show in all color modes. I`ll check that cartoon out later when I connect my laptop again.

Prolab

Thats gorgeous. Very nice set up. Love the wood (or laminated) floors.

Is that a sub on the top right hand corner of the sofa?

Now i just need a house :biggrin: .

lcdguy

Folding Team
I`ve heard others with the Epson 8700UB mention the red hue and they all said it went away as the projector was used more, sometimes around 100 hours and sometimes upto 200 hours. So I plan on waiting it out since it is the only thing I see right now and it does show in all color modes. I`ll check that cartoon out later when I connect my laptop again.

Ahh that makes sense. Some things need a breakin i guess. It just pains me to have my system in storage :(

NightRain

Thats gorgeous. Very nice set up. Love the wood (or laminated) floors.

Is that a sub on the top right hand corner of the sofa?

Now i just need a house :biggrin: .

Thanks, the floors are laminate dark walnut colored. upstairs we have walnut hardwood. The floors are pretty great and everyone seems to like the look.

It is a sub, I can't believe I forgot to mention it. It is a BIC PL-200, I'm considering getting a second one but I'm going to see how one works out first.

biff

I'm considering getting a second one but I'm going to see how one works out first.
2 subs is usually A LOT better than a single, it's not just about available output either. Each sub will only be driven half as hard so distortion will be less plus is help break up some room nodes giving a smoother bass response throughout the room. But since each sub is only working half as hard there is more available head room.

SO DO IT!!