What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Post your Network

lcdguy

Folding Team
actually the lamest network would be 1 crossover cable connecting 2 pc's in an ad-hoc environment but your's is a close second :biggrin:

t0m

i have an old netgear rp614 router and an older netgear switch hooked up to: 2 xboxes, an xbox 360 (with room/screens for 3 more) and 3 pcs (2x p4 3ghz and one e6850). all in all, there are probably over 100 ft of ethernet cable in here :doh:

i have a linksys wireless router here but i live in an apartment so im going to stay away from wireless for now. this place is a wireless nightmare... with the psp i can get online with 3 different networks, and can 'see' about 5 more that are password protected, all without getting up from my desk. i wouldnt even want to think about troubleshooting and performance here, with all the other wireless around (and in-accessible) it could be nightmare after :censored:ing nightmare...

all this is connected to the outside world via shaw extreme 10mbit connection (which has never topped 7 mbits lol).

Synth

i have a linksys wireless router here but i live in an apartment so im going to stay away from wireless for now. this place is a wireless nightmare... with the psp i can get online with 3 different networks, and can 'see' about 5 more that are password protected, all without getting up from my desk. i wouldnt even want to think about troubleshooting and performance here, with all the other wireless around (and in-accessible) it could be nightmare after :censored:ing nightmare...

Set up a wireless network in the following fashion:

1. Don't broadcast your SSID
2. Use WPA (or WPA2 by getting the windows update, if your router supports it)
3. Choose appropriate passwords
4. Use MAC filtering for access

With those 4 steps, you'll be somewhat invisible and pretty damn safe, especially with all the open networks around you.

sswilson

Staff member
actually the lamest network would be 1 crossover cable connecting 2 pc's in an ad-hoc environment but your's is a close second :biggrin:

Heh.... I had that..... :)

Originally running 95 (Pretty sure I tried with 3.11) but that was a networking nightmare until `98 came along and made life a hell of a lot easier.

I even tried one of the early power connector rigs. Still have it here, but the bandwidth was atrocious!!! :)

Neatest "network" application was an early flying game that let me plug two Radio Shack Cocos back to back and fly against the other player. Might not sound like much, but back in the late 80's that was unheard of! :)

t0m

Set up a wireless network in the following fashion:

1. Don't broadcast your SSID
2. Use WPA (or WPA2 by getting the windows update, if your router supports it)
3. Choose appropriate passwords
4. Use MAC filtering for access

With those 4 steps, you'll be somewhat invisible and pretty damn safe, especially with all the open networks around you.

good tips :thumb:

low351

Videotron VOIP/Router
Check Point Safe@Office500
Linksys WRT300N

House is wired with CAT5E to all major rooms. (should have done CAT6 in retrospect).

I have a Check Point Safe@Office 500 wired router/firewall off my Videotron Cable/VOIP modem.

Then a Linksys WRT300N router with the SPI disabled off that, running WPA2 for wireless connections.

I had a SonicWall SOHO2 router but it died recently. It was good while it lasted. Before that I tried a D-link 604 (garbage) and a WRT54G Linksys running DD-WRT. They just can't handle the traffic that uTorrent generates though. I had to go industrial, my Secure Connections from work to home using RealVNC were suffering during the day and my media sharing to my 2 XBMC Xboxes was glitching at night.

I even tried to use the WRT300N as the main router but the minute I had one or two torrents going I had to resort to tuning the QoS to get any decent browsing speed and to top it off the WRT300N they sell at Bureau En Gros (Staples) is a v1.1 which DD-WRT doesn't support. Even if I did get it to run DD-WRT it didn't help with the loads on my old 54G.

It's surprising how underpowered these home routers are. They work fine for a few internet connections and low TCP connnect downloading but let loose a few 1000 TCP torrent connections and they die.

My advice to anyone in a similar situation: Get a second hand SonicWall, Watchguard (linux based) or Check Point on eBAY. Approxmate cost $100. Results, speedy browsing, gaming and media serving while download/sharing torrents.

Before anyone pounces on me about the legalities of torrents, I'm DL'ing my tv shows, demos and Linux ditribs. So at worst it's grey. There are legal uses for torrents too.

lcdguy

Folding Team
i wouldn't count netgears prosafe line out either. I have a netgear router and AP now and both are rock solid :) and are alot cheaper then a new sonicwall :)

low351

Thund3rball: yeah a linksys will do fine for most but try installing uTorrent then adding about 5 or 6 350MB torrents and changing your settings to allow 600 connections total with about 100 per torrent. You'll notice visible degradation in your browsing. On the Dlink 604+ you'll get spontaneous reboots.

lcdguy: Thanks for putting me on to those netgear's they appear to be robust enough and at about 1/3 the cost. The Check Point is $300 wired and has about 100Mbps throughput firewall and 20Mbps VPN, while the netgear is only 12.5Mbps firewall and 1.2Mbps VPN it would probably make no difference since I have 7Mbps/820Kbps internet connection. At $100 it's a good deal. Luckily for me the Check Point was acquired by my company in a buyout and is too small for our purposes. The smallest we use are the $1200 UTM-1 X series so my boss let me "borrow" this one as long as I work for them.