What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Potentially dead video card.

whitetigerswt

I was playing Saints row 4 for a few hours on my PC, I had my headphones on and I really didn't hear how loud my PC was. and suddenly my monitor and sound cut out. My PC was still on. I didn't know what the deal was so I checked my monitor's cables while my PC restarted, and took my headphones off to hear how loud my PC was. it was definitely working hard for me... (I don't have any temperatures) It turned back on and the picture was still gone (assuming sound was too, but didn't check) After that I connected the monitor to my laptop and it was working great. so now I knew the monitor was absolutely fine and it's something else. I turned off my PC and let it cool down for 30 minutes or so before turning it back on, and the picture was still cut out. now, I plugged in the monitor cable directly to the motherboard port instead of into the graphics card (to use the integrated graphics). I booted up and it worked. immediately I checked device manager, and my dedicated video card isn't showing on there now. Is my video card dead? It seems to me like it's dead :( I got it in December of 2010 (and my full specs are below)

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory 4GB RAM
Hard Drive 1.5 TB
Motherboard Asus M3A78-CM
Operating System Windows 8.1 64-bit
Video Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 ~ 1 GB GDDR5
Physics Card No
Monitor HP W2371b 23 inches - 1980 x 1080
Sound Sound Card Speakers (Logitech G930 Headset)
Speakers Logitech G930 Headset
Peripherals Keyboard Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 3.5G
Computer Case ATX Mid-Tower PC Case

Last edited:

Bond007

It does seem like a GPU issue at a glance, but the only way to be sure is to check your GPU in another computer. For troubleshooting your could also try a different GPU in your computer to see if it may be a motherboard issue.

clshades

Try a different pci-e slot too. Or a different vid card on the same slot. Sounds like its fried tho.

Twitter