What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Power deviations with some motherboards

lowfat

Staff member
There is a Gamers Nexus follow up on it where he tests it; the TLDW is 'it probably doesnt matter'.

Asrock review bios has a significantly higher power limit. So board boosts higher than others. People see this and decide to buy the board. Then the actual release bios has a much lower power deviation, so it boosts significantly lower. I wouldn't be surprised it other manufacturers did the same thing.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Asrock review bios has a significantly higher power limit. So board boosts higher than others. People see this and decide to buy the board. Then the actual release bios has a much lower power deviation, so it boosts significantly lower. I wouldn't be surprised it other manufacturers did the same thing.

Yeah, I'm not saying its good optics. I'm saying that the actual real life effects on the chips is minimal.

Intel-based boards got busted for this too, with their extended boost mode timers. Some boards were defaulting the timer totally off in order to boost benchmark scores.

Its a board-industry wide problem. AMD and intel both pass out the specs, board manufacturers are at fault, but the media is portraying these problems as "bad intel" and "bad AMD" rather than "BAD ASROCK"

Bond007

From What I have read intel doesn’t care if MOB makers ignore spec on power limits, but AMD is trying to get them to follow it. Not sure if it’s true or not.

Agree with watching the gamers nexus video on it if you want info:

Latest posts

Twitter