What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Power Supply Failure?

Chasingu

Hi! Ive been running my new computer for almost a week now and it has been on ever since we built it. It is running at 4.2GHZ and the specs are in my sidebar. Now, I have had this happen to me twice now since building it. The first time happened in Saints Row, Im driving around, and the computer just shuts off. The only thing that was maxed out was the GPU and it was running stable. The second time was just a couple minutes ago, I was in Skyrim, someone messaged me on GSC, go to click on Skyrim again, the computer turns off.

I know this is not my CPU or GPU as they run fully maxed out for 8 hours at night running MilkyWay@home, but I don't know why I want to blame this on my power supply. The only reason I might suspect the powersupply, is because when the computer turns off, I need to turn the power supply off then back up, then click the on button on my case to start up the computer again. I need to turn off the powersupply first.

Any help with this would be nice.

Lpfan4ever

I'd think PSU myself as well. Sounds like OCP kicking in, but your parts should be nowhere near maxing out your PSU. Only way to be certain is to try another PSU and see how it goes!

Chasingu

Sadly, I don't have another power supply to go in it and test. Its bizarre to because with everything maxed out it still runs fine, its when I leave a game and go back into it is just shuts off. I was a bit peeved when my dad brought home the parts cause I had originally asked for a AX and they didn't have any so I had to go with the TX...

Lpfan4ever

Well, the TX is still a great line of PSUs. Maybe if you list your location, a member might be able to help you out. Loan you a PSU for a bit to test and whatnot. It happens a lot here :thumb:

ilya

I would check VRM/chipset temps, I've seen way too many high end motherboards with big heatsinks leave the factory with the plastic backing still on the thermal pads.

Chasingu

Are you guys sure that the Power Supply is the culprit? I've run tests on the Ram using Microsoft's Memory Tester, and am going to run Memtest86+ to make sure it is not the ram. I just want everyone's opionion because if it is the power supply, we are going to be getting a AX750.

Galcobar

Diagnosis over the internet based on described symptoms is never certain.

That's why everyone has given you the test procedure. Testing creates certainty.

t0m

do you have a ups? i have seen problems with the house electrical end up causing mysterious computer behaviour quite a few times. i actually lost a few psu's to a place i was renting one summer. they would start quitting like what you describe (it was too random to actually pinpoint a reason. they would go under heavy load, or idle when i wasnt even home, with hours, days or a couple weeks in between any sign of a problem), and eventually not be able to turn back on (one actually blew up when it died instead of just shutting off). i got a ups and it never happened again. to this day i wont plug in a pc without one, and i try to force people to budget for them on the rare occasion that i build a pc for someone else.

Chasingu

do you have a ups? i have seen problems with the house electrical end up causing mysterious computer behaviour quite a few times. i actually lost a few psu's to a place i was renting one summer. they would start quitting like what you describe (it was too random to actually pinpoint a reason. they would go under heavy load, or idle when i wasnt even home, with hours, days or a couple weeks in between any sign of a problem), and eventually not be able to turn back on (one actually blew up when it died instead of just shutting off). i got a ups and it never happened again. to this day i wont plug in a pc without one, and i try to force people to budget for them on the rare occasion that i build a pc for someone else.

I have plans to buy a UPS in the future, my cash is tight after spending on this new Computer. It is odd cause it seems to never happen with the system is fully loaded, IE BOINC.

Anyway, Ive done some testing, and I am 99% Sure that the power supply is the culprit. Will be going with a AX750 for the new one.

Latest posts