What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Power supply fan

danmitch1

I have a 24v 350watt psu on my 3d printer. I want to swap out the noisy fan for a larger quieter one. Is there anything specific i need to know ? Its currently using a 6015 generic fan and id like to put a 92mm 1500rpm.

Plus, would replacing the metal cover (where the fan is mounted) with a plastic one be dangerous? It would be a 3d printed cover using PETG which has a thermal resistance (apparently) of 85 ºC.

sswilson

Staff member
As long as you get the voltages correct you should be fine.

As far as printed fan guards go.... unless it's going to be mounted to a heatsink attached to a hot chip on the PSU's cct board I can't see it being an issue.

danmitch1

As long as you get the voltages correct you should be fine.

As far as printed fan guards go.... unless it's going to be mounted to a heatsink attached to a hot chip on the PSU's cct board I can't see it being an issue.
Im going to be powering it from my 24-12v converter which is now directly connected to the psu ( not on the controller board header ).

Cooling wise, do psu's need alot of cooling, or more of a steady flow of cool air?

Izerous

Folding Team
Depends how loaded they are a PSU near 100% load needs a lot of cooling, @20% load a lot of the better built ones don't even need a fan turned on. This being a 24V variant not sure if the difference in voltage has a large effect on heat compared to 12V out.

Metal vs plastic... id keep the metal one if at all possible and just cut the opening as needed with a dremel.

Bond007

Not sure if the power supply would care if there is no fan directly connected or not, but otherwise I don’t see any issues with your plan.

Latest posts

Twitter