What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Power up for a second, shuts down, wait 3 seconds to power up again

0o0

Banned
Hey guys, here's what I've got in my riggie along with whether they work or not according to my swap out tests:
i7 920 C0 - unsure
patriot viper 3x2gb 1.65v - working
ex58 ud5 - unsure
5870 - working
tx750 -working
nh-d14 - working, very heavy on cpu socket

The symptom is as follows:
Installed everything together properly (so no shorts and all that preliminary stuff), powered it up and it shut down just as the fans reached proper rpm. Wait about 3 seconds and it the mobo tries it again. I'm definitely sure that it is not a psu problem because I'm using it with another system right now. I'm sure that it's not the video card or memory because they also work in other systems and the same thing happens with no ram/video card installed anyways. I've reset the cmos with the button on the back. I've ruled it down to either the mobo or cpu, which could it be? Is it possible that the ud5 also suffers from the infamous 780i "too much pressure on the cpu socket area" bug? It shuts off before it can send any signals to the display, show any error codes or even make a beep.

Any ideas?

and I've also googled this earlier in the morning, most people pointed to psu and cmos resets but I've tried both already

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Out of curiousity, did you try a "Hard" cmos reset? By this i mean: Pull out the battery and the power cord from the PSU, Hit the power button and HOLD it down for a long while, then release it, reinstall the battery a try powering up again.

You can also try a 24-hour hard reset as well, basically you short the power button as above but using a jumper from an ide hard drive or similar instead of having to hold the button for a day. Might work.... if not, i'd say dead mobo, especially if the PSU works fine on another system.

HiH :thumb:

_dangtx_

Banned
assemble on your table, stock cooler sitting on the cpu. look for bent pins etc...the chances that the cpu is borked(safe theres damage) are much smaller vs mobo.

0o0

Banned
Out of curiousity, did you try a "Hard" cmos reset? By this i mean: Pull out the battery and the power cord from the PSU, Hit the power button and HOLD it down for a long while, then release it, reinstall the battery a try powering up again.

You can also try a 24-hour hard reset as well, basically you short the power button as above but using a jumper from an ide hard drive or similar instead of having to hold the button for a day. Might work.... if not, i'd say dead mobo, especially if the PSU works fine on another system.

HiH :thumb:
hmm never know there was a difference... isn't 5-10 seconds enough? I help the button down for about 10 seconds, I suppose that should be enough time... I've just pulled out the battery and I've got a jumper on the cmos reset pins, will try again

I'm leaning towards the mobo right now, hopefully this is a fixable software problem with bios.

gingerbee

some gigabyte boards didn't like boot fro some bios look on gig web site every bios i update for my ds4's say something about possible none boot issues with previous bios so like i said check it out. good luck i would also pull it all out and just go with one stick of ram. jmo

0o0

Banned
same thing with ram or no ram. Is it possible to soft update bios without turning on the mobo? I can't get by a second without the mobo shutting down on me

grimx133

I'd have to agree on pulling the board out, the cycling power sure sounds like a short to me. Go with absolute minimum for post - one stick as gingerbee says, cpu, and video card.

0o0

Banned
I'd have to agree on pulling the board out, the cycling power sure sounds like a short to me. Go with absolute minimum for post - one stick as gingerbee says, cpu, and video card.
did that a looooong time ago, goes without saying.

anyone got any ideas? Does anyone know what'll happen if I try to boot the mobo naked, as in only a mobo and a psu attached to it? has anyone ever experienced this reset cycle?

Latest posts