What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pressure Relief Valve

crispex

Well, I am putting this in here because I find it funny, but there's also a question behind it.

First, a quote from Koolance:
The VLV-VL002K safety valve releases built-up air pressure in situations such as corrosion, thermal expansion, etc. (at approximately 0.3-0.4kg/cm2, 4.3-5.7psi) The pressure valve is designed to be screwed into the Koolance Fill Port, where it replaces the nozzle plug. This product should not be necessary for systems using only Koolance water cooling products.

Gotta love it, hey? :biggrin:

Anyway, the actual question: Has anyone here ever used something like that?

Secondarily, does anyone here think that a relief valve like that is necessary?

Koolance is also selling in-line filters, which are neat, but I assume would only come into play if you didn't flush your components properly.

enaberif

Well, I am putting this in here because I find it funny, but there's also a question behind it.

First, a quote from Koolance:

Gotta love it, hey? :biggrin:

Anyway, the actual question: Has anyone here ever used something like that?

Secondarily, does anyone here think that a relief valve like that is necessary?

Koolance is also selling in-line filters, which are neat, but I assume would only come into play if you didn't flush your components properly.

1) Filters will decrease flow; by how much hard to say and yes not needed unless you did a crappy job flushing your gear.

2) If you have a loop that requires a pressure relief valve your running more pump than you need.. you'd be blowing hoses off.

sswilson

Staff member
I've never noticed that one of my loops was "charged" with extra pressure. I'd think that there would have to be a lot of chemical reaction going on to require it, and if that's the case, overpressure would be the least of my worries. :)

Linus

Or just don't put anything stupid in your loop.

A proper closed loop system shouldn't have any gas build up because nothing comes out that you didn't put into it unless you've got some kind of chemical reaction going on in there.

Dazmode

Here is pic. on how filter looks inside. Mesh is quite coarse, I don't think it will restrict flow too much, but it won't filter much either.

I'm also puzzled about that pressure valve thingy...

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 2,276
  • pressure.jpg
    pressure.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 2,024

3 of 7

Interesting.
Depending on the temps created, a relief valve could well be necessary if there isn't sufficient airspace in the system, as you know air will compress but liquid, not so much.
The problem with a one way relief valve is, if your creating that much pressure by heating the water, it stands to reason as the water cools you'd create an equall amount of vacuum that would collapse your hoses and likely your rad.
In an extremely high heat system the ideal would be a closed loop no-loss (catch-can) system just like an automotive cooling system has.

MpG

The only remotely legit application for the filter than I can think of might be to catch bits of seal that break off from the insides of some waterblocks. But that's a poor substitute for cracking the block open beforehand and inspecting it.

As for the pressure relief valve, if you need that, you've got bigger problems than a little excess pressure. The only legit time that I've noticed a little pressure build-up is in a completely sealed loop that been loaded/heated up for the first time, since you'll get a small amount of gas leaving solution from the warmer water, and not redissolving afterwards. But that's nowhere near problematic, and it's nothing unscrewing the res cap for a few seconds won't take care of.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Never fill a res to the top, leave some air space for pressure build-up - if any.

gingerbee

pressure build up is not the thing you should be worried about its whats causing the pressure ( one of my systems even after 6 months has little to no pressure just listen when you open the res watch what you put in your loop)

Latest posts