What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

printer hookup

Dunc

As one who was raised on PCs with parallel printer ports I find that my trusty - but sadly, obsolete - HP LJ 6 mp needs replacement. It is currently attached by a cable with a serial (USB) port on the computer and a parallel "bump" on the printer end. It needs toner and likely a drum but the economics just aren't there.
Current printers are USB - no problem. Some models also offer an Ethernet plug or Wi-Fi. My motherboard has dual Lan ports: one provides the internet connection (from cable company's modem/router. Can I hook a printer directly to this port via a Lan cable, or do I need more (hardware, software, ?).
Similarly, how would I deal with wi-fi?
As I print infrequently - and to save power - my printer is turned off (not sleep or equivalent). Might this intermittent on state cause havoc?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Ethernet/Wifi are generally for attaching to your network so that everyone can print to that printer without having a PC on.

If you dont need that capability for your household the old standard USB direct plug in method is just fine and dandy.

moocow

Ah this brings me back to my childhood. My aunt used to have a LJ4 in her room, that thing was a tank. You could get away with USB only if your router supports printer sharing via USB. I haven't try it myself since I got my own printer for PC and my sister has 2 for her Mac.

Latest posts

Twitter