What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress PrinTus MaXimus - The RETURN of the TEC!

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
That looks like art eraser putty. I've never seen it do that before and I hope I don't. Your going to have to find a safe solvent and I would start with 99% isopropyl alchohol and see if that works. A soft toothbrush and patience will be required. The chip should be recoverable for sure. The socket will be more of a challenge and you may have to use an aerosol spray solvent with a thin tube extension and spray each hole. You'll need lots of shop towel or tissue to soak up the mess. Care and patience along with a good antistatic workspace and go for it. Come to think of it, you may find it easier to spray the chip off too. There are some pretty good electronics safe spray solvents out there.

example https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/electronics-maintenance/contact-cleaners/contact-cleaner-spray/

Last edited:

chibi_man

That looks like art eraser putty. I've never seen it do that before and I hope I don't. Your going to have to find a safe solvent and I would start with 99% isopropyl alchohol and see if that works. A soft toothbrush and patience will be required. The chip should be recoverable for sure. The socket will be more of a challenge and you may have to use an aerosol spray solvent with a thin tube extension and spray each hole. You'll need lots of shop towel or tissue to soak up the mess. Care and patience along with a good antistatic workspace and go for it. Come to think of it, you may find it easier to spray the chip off too. There are some pretty good electronics safe spray solvents out there.

example https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/electronics-maintenance/contact-cleaners/contact-cleaner-spray/

The "Putty" is kneaded eraser, yes, also can be known as "Art Eraser Putty". Love using it over neoprene, far better coverage and no adhesive.
Fortunately I do already have cleaning supplies that would help with this.

Had a good nights sleep on this (Surprisingly). Since the processor as installed on the socket during the application of Conformal, believe it's safe to say that the contact pins to their respected inserts are probably clear. Only physical "Damage" is actually the plastic socket cover before the sockets. Plus what has been stuck to the processor is already pressed as far in as it goes... SOOOOO.......

Plan "Go for Broke" will be; clear any loose parts from the socket and the processor. Fill the socket with dielectric grease. Then re-install the processor.

Been down similar roads here. Mess with this any more may result in further complications. retrospect, I should of just left the thing stuck to the board and made small prayers that i wouldn't get any moisture development in the socket from the cooling.
A coon a matata....

May as well give this a try before opening up the ever emptying wallet!

gingerbee

Holy crap well you see something new every day, I have never seen conformal coating do that it looks like it broke down the plastic socket cover and clearly got in between the CPU and socket, well very glad it's up and working since I really wanna see this done

chibi_man

Holy crap well you see something new every day, I have never seen conformal coating do that it looks like it broke down the plastic socket cover and clearly got in between the CPU and socket, well very glad it's up and working since I really wanna see this done
Still trying to fully understand it. Thought the entire bottom of the socket was effectively sealed and would not allow anything to pass into it. clearly that assumption was wrong. Whats interesting is it seemingly worked it's way upwards... Gravity defying conformal!

Gets somewhat worse, the memory stick closest to the socket is also stuck. I'm not attempting to remove it. Memory socket getting stuck is even harder to understand really. If I ever do this again... well FAR more precautions will be done.

SO... now that i've cheated death of board and processor. UPDATES

New Peltier installed and tested... SHE GETS COLD FAST!
Board fully insulated, block installed. LET THE ASSEMBLY BEGIN!
photo_2021-10-15_22-23-41.jpgphoto_2021-10-15_22-23-33.jpg
photo_2021-10-15_22-23-55.jpgphoto_2021-10-15_22-24-01.jpg
photo_2021-10-15_22-24-06.jpg

Few more parts being printed. Next will be mounting the reservoir/pump then installing the hard pipes.
Certainly getting a tight fit on everything.

gingerbee

I would likely bet your conformal coating is the mg chemicals Conformal Coating, Acrylic, Clear. not the modified silicone type, it climbed up using its magic powers of capillary action lol and hardened hence the stuck RAM/CPU, but I mean its working so it's all good. damn, that thing is big on that little board cant wait to see where this all goes thanks so very much.

I never messed with Peltier plates it was the only type of crazy cooling I thought was more than I wanted to ever get into.

chibi_man

I would likely bet your conformal coating is the mg chemicals Conformal Coating, Acrylic, Clear. not the modified silicone type, it climbed up using its magic powers of capillary action lol and hardened hence the stuck RAM/CPU, but I mean its working so it's all good. damn, that thing is big on that little board cant wait to see where this all goes thanks so very much.

I never messed with Peltier plates it was the only type of crazy cooling I thought was more than I wanted to ever get into.
ACTUALLY... I did use Modified Silicone conformal from MG chemicals. Magic power one way or another.

First time for me installed a peltier on such a small board. Considering the 65W TDP of the processor, I should achieve something special. Well that's the hope.

When this is all complete I am gonna have a interesting time bench-marking. ZERO intention to go back to windows. Likely going to start off using POP OS on her first and see where things go.
Thinking of it now actually... Never actually bench marked on linux before.... hmmm, Any suggestions for a cinebench or 3dmark equivalent?

gingerbee

Well, holy crap wow I have never seen that conformal coating "glue" anything together like that damn. Good to know, So I can lookout for it.

Linux Benchmarking I am really not sure I have used several distros over the years just to the point of benchmarking lol.

Yes, I really hope to see some great results with all the work you have had to put in, with a 65TDP that should help you get way up there but only time will tell. Good luck.

in fact, I don't think I have ever seen a Peltier plate on a CPU with this much performance for such little power

chibi_man

This is such a @BrainEater post, he would love it.
Back in the day BrainEater saved a project of mine. Would be great to see what he would think of this project.

Well, holy crap wow I have never seen that conformal coating "glue" anything together like that damn. Good to know, So I can lookout for it.

Linux Benchmarking I am really not sure I have used several distros over the years just to the point of benchmarking lol.

Yes, I really hope to see some great results with all the work you have had to put in, with a 65TDP that should help you get way up there but only time will tell. Good luck.

in fact, I don't think I have ever seen a Peltier plate on a CPU with this much performance for such little power
Part of me has got to believe somebody has already tried this... IF not and I am the first... Well that's just awesome.

Latest posts

Twitter