What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Problem with SyncMaster 953BW display

moocow

I'm starting to get these odd problems. I would go power down the display but it would try to switch from DVI to VGA instead or bring up the display adjustment menu instead. No, I'm that drunk when I try to turn it off and the power button is pretty far apart from the other buttons. Also, today when it powers up, there's only 2 thin vertical lines. I power cycle and the problem went away. What exactly am I dealing with here?

clshades

sounds like capacitors are dead or dying. They can be replaced if you are good with a soldiering iron or you can have a tv repair guy fix it for you. The parts are about 2-5 bux. Braineater has fixed more than one monitor by replacing the caps.

Problem is the makers use caps that are JUST within spec so a power surge or brownout can ruin these things.

moocow

Would a slow start up also a problem? I got a 940MW as well which is really slow to bring up when I switch to DVI input.

moocow

Sorry, I can't afford to get new monitors so I'll fix them myself. Not exactly newbie when it comes to soldering. Guess I'll order the repair kits online, too lazy to order them from local stores.

clshades

You'll need to take apart the monitor and inspect the capacitors. Then you'll need to research which ones you need to replace. I'll get Brain to post here for you so he can point you in the right direction.

moocow

I found a website call LCD Alternative that sell kits. Their site say no international order but they got an eBay store front that does have shipping to Canada. Can you ask Brain where he got his caps? The kits is only $13 + shipping so it's not too expensive.

BrainEater

Hey.

The first thing to do is to take it apart far enough to see the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply ..this is usually where they fail.It will be obvious which ones are blown if this is indeed the problem.

When I replace em , I use 105c rated capacitors , same capacitance , next highest voltage (ie, if it's a 16volt cap, use a 25 volt unit to replace it.....).

I just buy Capacitors from one of many electronics suppliers here in Calgary , I'm sure there will be something close to you....just look in the yellowpages.

There's always a chance this isn't the problem but it's pretty common.

:thumb:

edit : here's my original post about this ; http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...tor-has-gone-black-wont-come-out-standby.html

Last edited:

Latest posts