What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Problem with Valve games and SSD

Varroa

Ok, I have a problem and the guys over at OCZ can't seem to find the problem. I have 2 x OCZ SSDs, one for programs/windows and one for Steam/games. Both are now running 1.41 GC firmware one Windows 7 64x. When I was running 1.4 firmware with TRIM I would get over 50+ corrupt files in my steam games after playing (something to do with TRIM not being able to work when 2 SSDs are installed). I switched to 1.41 with GC and now I only get 1 - 2 corrupt files after playing (files failed to validate and are re-acquired). Does anybody have any ideas on why I am getting corrupt files after playing Steam games? This is driving me up the wall!!!! System specs below.

Jack Rabbit

Are you sure the SSD is part of the problem? Have you run the Steam game off your 1Tb black without problems?

What files are corrupt? Steam would not need to write hardly anything when you are playing a game; logs and save games and such. If you have texture files getting corrupt then something else is screwy.

Have you stress tested the system with Prime95 and memtest lately? Flaky RAM can cause file corruption or the appearance of it.

Have you written and tested files on the disk? Copy a large file (like a DVD iso) and repeatedly hash it. If the sums are not reliable then it is not Steam that is the problem. AFAIK Steam is unusual that it actually checks the integrity of its files and most games do not so you would have no way of knowing if they were corrupt. You could also hash your game files, then run the Steam game, then hash the files again after you play and see if steam is correctly reporting corruption.

Varroa

I am pretty sure it is the SSD. I originally had the games on the 1 TB black drive and they were fine. I backed them up before doing a clean installing of Win 7 . I then restored the backups onto the brand new SSD. OCZ forums support suggest I switch TRIM of and us the GC firmware instead. When that didn't work I did a proper format/cleaning of the SSD and re-installed steam and did fresh installs of all the games and I still got corrupt files. I also had a copy of a non-steam game that got corrupt (I believe it had corrupt files, a fresh install fixed the crashing of that game). When I was running TRIM there were so many corrupt files that the games would crash or not even load. Now they play fine and I can play for over an hour without crashes. It is only after I have played that I check the files before playing and afterward. Only after I have played does steam find corrupt files (so there are no crash logs anymore). I am not sure what files are becoming corrupt, Steam only tells you that "X number of files have failed to validate and will be re-acquired". The files that are downloaded are super small, maybe only a few kb. They take less than 1 or 2 second to download. My system was super stable in Win XP and survived many passes of Orthos but I have not done that since installing Windows 7.

I am thinking the next test is to return to stock settings and see if I still get corrupt files.

bojangles

Have you verified integrity of the game's cache? You might want to check those before playing a game. If it finds problems it will redownload that file and correct it.

gingerbee

trim caused some wierd problems with my torrents. corrupted files that is had to switch to an hd to fix the problem. only happened after i update too and i checked to make sure it wasn't anything else

Varroa

Trim completely F'ed up my drive, I was getting 50+ corrupt files on each game, even before I had ever played them. I switched to the FW without trim and now I am stuck with only a couple of corrupt files and only on the games I play.

Latest posts