What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Problem With Vista

Lima

Hello peeps.

Some time ago, I had Vista go bananas on me. It was after a update, around October 2008. I reinstalled Vista and I would get the same problem. I had spare HHD' s so I installed on another disk and got the same problem. I then tested the disks with Western Digital' s tools and one of the disks reported a error. That disk would also show up as bzbzbzbzbzbz in BIOS. I contacted Western Digital and they said that the Drive is not Vista compatible (WD Caviar SE16-WD3200AAKS-00B3A0) and if the disk continued acting up that they would RMA it. Well, I got fedup with the problem and since I had XP on another drive I was o.k, until now. I just reinstalled Vista and it's doing the same thing. The disk that was being repported as bzbzbzbzbz was beeing detected correctly, yet failled again. I put in a new HDD and it is now messing up again, both are brand new drives.

I am thinking of reistalling Vista on the drive that failled just to see if it will faill again because I am thinking that this might have to do with the ICH9R. When this happens, my HHD's are set to RAID in BIOS.

Just now, it started messing up. I managed to open Task manager to see if I get any funky readings and, sure enough, when the system starts freezing up, the CPU usage also goes up to 25% and jump up even higher up and back down to 25%, nothing changes on RAM and no funky network things either.

I don't know what to do or how to go about solving this problem, so I decided to write about it. So, peoples, if you got any suggestions and would like tp help solve this thing, wou are more than welcome.

enaberif

Usually seeing incorrect data to HDD upon boot at BIOS screen means well the hdd itself is toast.

For a hard drive THAT recent and new to be incompatible with a OS is absolute hogwash and malarky.

I'd say check for bios updates first and then perhaps you could have a faulty board.

grinder

the bios update might be futile but worth a try. I've seen a couple sata CONTROLLERS (not just the ports, but the whole controller on the board) go bzerk forcing an RMA of the motherboard itself. The HDD's showed the same symptoms at the time making it a little tougher to trace.

Lima

Yeah, very frustrating!

When I rebooted, I saw that one of the member disks was showing error but the OS still loaded. I actually turned my computer on to do a complete back up of the disk and move on to tweaking the system to my liking, so I have a complete back up instead of having to completely reinstall in case of problems. What a drag! The funny thing is, that I got a message indicating new updates and I updated before backing up and that is when all this :angry2: started again.

Anyhow, I got a back up disk mounted and I can back up now. Should I restore to before the problems occurred or should I back up now and then again after restoring? Seeing as how my install is completely fresh, only drivers and updates, should I just reinstall and start over again?

Lima

Guys, anyone there?

To update the BIOS, I will have to reset CMOS. Will that affect my RAID setup in any way?

jwebby

Guys, anyone there?

To update the BIOS, I will have to reset CMOS. Will that affect my RAID setup in any way?

And I would do a hard CMOS reset and I think you would want to re-setup the raid from scratch.

Have you tried installing Vista on a single drive without RAID? (Not the drive that showed errors with WD diagnostics).

Dwayne

Guys, anyone there?

I updated my BIOS, I had to go back into the BIOS to setup the RAID, checked the array using CTRL-I and had no trouble at all. All was fine on the RAID and it booted just fine.

X58 SLI LE Mobo
used the CD Rom ISO

KaptCrunch

bios update make sure you have the correct file for your MB model and version of MB (usally is printed after model on MB in white)

how many HDD is OS using ?

raid only works with same brand/model HDD for it to work proper

Lima

Yes, HDD's are the exact same model and version. Mother board model and all is no issue ether, I have the right info. And, it is two HDD's in RAID0.

As of now, I am planing to star all over again :(. I am going to set BIOS option for controler to IDE, then reboot to see how BIOS is reporting the HDD's. If they are being repported well, I have two options: ether just set the disks up for RAID0 and reinstall again or, reinstall on one drive only. I also want to use an disk copying program to make a copy of the disk for further troubleshooting. Anyone done this with the Western Digital tools before and, can provide a quick walkthrough? And, anyone know if it has to be a copied image from existing RAID to be copied to RAID, or does it make no difference?

I am also going to plug the other disk that wasn't being reported properly to see what it does now. Then I will check what a BIOS flash will do and also contact motherboard manufacturer to see if they are gonna issue a RMA/suggest solution for this problem.