What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Problems booting up for first time

Merrix

Hi,

I've just put together my computer(or rather, I contributed while someone a little more knowledgeable put it together) and I've run into a problem. I'll start from the beginning.

When I booted it up the first time, I got one long beep and two short beeps. I looked at my manual and saw that this meant that no RAM was detected. I looked at my RAM and saw I had put them in the wrong slots(DIMM A1, DIMMB1). I fixed this and put them in A2 and B2 respectively. When I booted it up afterwards, the beeping stopped.

The problem now is that nothing is happening. My motherboard's receiving power(lights are flashing) and so are my fans. My videocard's fan is running as well. However, I get no beep at all nor do I see anything appear on screen. After a while, my monitor, which is an HDTV, tells me that there is no signal and that it's turning off in five minutes(Yes, I have it on the proper input). I've tried inserting the ASUS BIOS CD.

My apologies for the messiness of the case. I haven't organized the cables yet(I wanted to check whether it worked first, then organize). If you need anymore/better pictures, let me know. Hopefully you can help, I'm a little stumped as to what to do.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.5 Ghz (3.8Ghz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W ($244.40)
Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail - DirectCanada

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Universal CPU Cooler ($30.48)
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366/1155/1156/2011 120MM - DirectCanada

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro LGA 1155 ($212.73)
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 SLI 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 DisplayPort USB3.0 Motherboard - DirectCanada

RAM: TWO Samsung MV-3V4G3/US Desktop Memory Module 4GB, PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz
Buy the Samsung 4GB DDR3-1600MHz Desktop Memory Module at TigerDirect.ca

Video Card: MSI N680GTX-PM2D2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB
Newegg.ca - MSI N680GTX-PM2D2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Hard Drive: Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive ($89.79)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - OEM - DirectCanada

CD reader: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black - DirectCanada

Power Supply: Corsair Professional HX 750W Modular Power Supply
Corsair Professional HX750W 750W ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan - DirectCanada

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.ca - Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT
Buy the Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT - OEM DVD at TigerDirect.ca

Keyboard: Microsoft ANB Wired Keyboard 600
Buy the Microsoft ANB-00001 Wired Keyboard 600 at TigerDirect.ca

Monitor: Sharp Aquos LC-32GP3U-R
Sharp Aquos LC-32GP3U-R Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 597

dandelioneater

You could try with just one stick of ram installed. If it doesn't post, then remove that stick and try with the other. Is there a ''mem-ok!'' button on that board?, you could try that i suppose. If that doesn't work, then you could try clearing your cmos (Should be a button for that). And if that fails, then I would carefully take the system apart and put it back together out of the case. Put the motherboard on top of your motherboard box, add one stick of ram, the video card, and hook up a monitor and keyboard only - no hard drives or dvd drive. Try powering up again after making sure all the power cables are installed properly. You could also try reseating the cpu. Thats all I can really think of at the moment.

Merrix

I've tried one stick of RAM and then the other as you suggested, but nothing happened on screen.

When you mentioned the mem-OK! button I saw that it was already lit up red. I'm assuming that's bad, right? I pressed it and the computer shut down temporarily, rebooted, and then there was red blinking for about thirty seconds. Then the mem-OK! light returned to a solid red. Nothing happened on-screen.

I'm looking for the CMOS button you suggested now. Thanks for the help.

great_big_abyss

Check the 8-pin power connector running up to the top lefthand corner of the board, next to the CPU. You want to make sure it does NOT say PCI-E on the connector. Look for another 8-pin connector if it DOES say PCI-E. Make sure you're using the split EPS connector.

EDIT:
17174d1339588783-problems-booting-up-first-time-img_0999.jpg

I'm talking about the cable at the top of the frame of this picture. It should be an 8-pin connector that splits into 2x 4-pin connectors, that comes directly out of the powersupply. It should NOT be one of the cables that can be disconnected.

Merrix

If that doesn't work, then you could try clearing your cmos (Should be a button for that).

I cleared the CMOS. It involved me turning off the PC and unplugging the power cord, putting the jumper cap from pins 1-2(default) to 2-3 for five to ten seconds,, and then moving the cap back to pins 1-2. Then I plugged the power cord back in and turned on the PC. It didn't really do anything =(

I'm talking about the cable at the top of the frame of this picture. It should be an 8-pin connector that splits into 2x 4-pin connectors, that comes directly out of the powersupply. It should NOT be one of the cables that can be disconnected.

I took the cable in question out. It says "CPU" on it and is an 8-pin connector that splits into 2x 4pin connectors. It goes directly into the power supply.

Make sure you're using the split EPS connector.

I don't know where the split EPS connector is. Can you tell me where I should find it?

great_big_abyss

I took the cable in question out. It says "CPU" on it and is an 8-pin connector that splits into 2x 4pin connectors. It goes directly into the power supply.

I don't know where the split EPS connector is. Can you tell me where I should find it?

EPS is the same thing as above. You're fine on that front, then.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
If the cable says CPU on it, that's the EPS connector he's talking about.

I'd remove the board from the case, and try booting with CPU and 1 stick of ram only. Not even GPU, use the onboard. You're trying to make sure nothing is shorted out in the case. If it boots, then install in case and try again. If it boots again in the case, then add components/connections 1 at a time.

Merrix

Problem solved. I just took out the videocard and RAM, and put them back in and everything worked =P. I'm not sure what caused the problem..

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it =)

Latest posts