What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Problems with buying Windows 7 Ultimate

_dangtx_

Banned
i wouldnt buy it online unless it was an authorised microsoft etailer

and as far as activations go,no problem.

some may remember the region crap thing from dvd's and so on,perhaps.

Antanas

What about buying it from Top Rated sellers with thousands of feedback score and 100% positive feedback?

mo' power

Buy the oem and be done with it. The only difference between oem and retail is some fancy packaging and free tech support iirc.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I would get the OEM version over the retail.

That said, I have activated the special Europe and Korean versions here in Canada no problem. There are different versions of Windows, based on court rulings and anti-trust matters. Microsoft is supposed to discourage selling the various versions around the world.

Back a while ago, I remember that Netscape and Internet Explorer had "for distribution in the US and Canada only" in the file names themselves, due to security reasons (ie the included encryption). The warning might also be a throwback to that as well.

I would go ahead and activate it anywhere you wanted.

Shadowmeph

I am wondering the same thing why ultimate I also don't see any problem with downloading the version you want ( from Microsoft) because it is free to try and then activate it going through Microsoft

rivet

I think only the ultimate and enterprise version support multilingual user interface, maybe part of the reason people want the ultimate version.

Andy

If it's any help ... I activated a US/Canadian copy of Win7 Pro yesterday from Taiwan. No proxies, and it went through just fine.