What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Programs Not Responding, Now Internet Doesn't Work?

JoeOnePack

Banned
Hey guys,

I have run into a small problem. I just had about 3 or four episodes where the computer would not open any program and nothing was responding properly. Now all of a sudden everything works fine, but the internet doesn't work. I have 3 other laptops downstairs and everything is fine.

Anyone know what that could have been about and how I get my internet back up?

Dzzope

Possible virus right here... behaviour is a bit erratic to be standard issues.

Other possible issues are some corrupted data or bad sectors on hdd, effecting programs and drivers in that area or memory problem.

Number 1 I would do some thorough checks for viruses, mailware etc.

Krisso

I agree, definitely sounds like malware or virus. Scan you system ASAP.

If you are familiar with processes, check your task manager for any tasks that look out of the ordinary.

JoeOnePack

Banned
Possible virus right here... behaviour is a bit erratic to be standard issues.

Other possible issues are some corrupted data or bad sectors on hdd, effecting programs and drivers in that area or memory problem.

Number 1 I would do some thorough checks for viruses, mailware etc.

I am running adaware full scan right now to check for viruses.

I was thinking corrupted data might be the problem. How would I check for this?

Mark

I am running adaware full scan right now to check for viruses.

I was thinking corrupted data might be the problem. How would I check for this?

System File check

Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

- No idea what you have as a build or how old the system is but this is an easy start for you.

Nodscene

I'd skip the adaware scan and get Malwarebytes. Do a scan with that as it is a better program. As has been mentioned, do a chkdsk /r on your drive and also run memtest. You should find something after those.

JoeOnePack

Banned
run memtest first, as doing an SFC will just trash your entire OS otherwise.

Alright, i'm in command prompt but have no idea how to run memtest. I am going to have to download malware on another pc and transfer it to my computer as I can't get to the internet to download it.

I won't run SFC right now until the others have been tried.

Latest posts