What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Progress report E6400

bushwickbill

I know this is yet another post about my stubborn E6400, But I tried all the
suggestions put to me, and still I have something clearly wrong. I got fed up with trying to Overclock E6400(past 2.8Ghz) with Four 1gb Sticks of Kingston DDR2 667. I Flashed My BIOS to the latest 1604 And still had issues trying to get over my 2.8Ghz Wall. I took out two 1Gb sticks of Ram to hopefully solve my issue. People kept saying "Four 1Gb sticks won't overclock." I loaded up 360*8=2.88Ghz and it posted and ran Stability tests no problem. V.Core was only at 1.2625, Ram at 1.9 Volts. I then tried 370*8 and no post? I jacked the V.core up to 1.35, 1.40, No post. I put the Ram volts up to 2.1volts, No post? I then tried Raising the "FSB Termination Voltage" to the Max and still no luck. What is causing this. I followed all the advice everybody gave me. Does anybody else know why this is happening? There has to be something I am missing. Thanx Again

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I feel you pain, I've been trying on my side too to raise the speed on my E6400 - took me 24 hours. I'm almost done. As for your issue, I still believe that your Ram is holding back the oc.

Try this. You know that your CPU can do 360. Are you linked on the mem? If so, it too should run at 360, (from 333 stock). Now lower your CPU multiplier from 8x to 6x and lower your speed to 350 - this will completely take out the CPU from the equation. And don't touch the CPU volts.

Now change your Ram multiplier, from 2.0 (I think that's what it is on the Asus boards) to to the next one. Come back to this thread and post the answers.

What is the next Ram multi after 2.0?
What is the speed of the Ram now?
What is the Ram voltage set to?

John

Babrbarossa

good suggestions- again, I'd say it is your ram holding you back- going down to two sticks is smart, but the ram just ain't capable of the max speed you need to get over 3.0- you could try loosening up the timings on the memory to see if it will allow it to reachhigher frequencies- do you know how to change your memory timings?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
That's where I'm headin', looser timings and pushing the Ram. I'm trying to prove that 360 may not be feasible with his sticks.

bushwickbill

Not sure?

What would be the next looser timing after 5,6,6,18? And after you set those what do you do about the bottom six timings? I have not set them manually before? I either chose Auto or one of the dividers to get were I have so far. I know I need to learn to do it. But how do you start without getting too bogged down with resetting the CMOS after a failed post. Is 6,6,6,18 the next timing after 5,6,6,18? I am trying to rule out that my CPU can indeed go faster than 360*8. I am trying to break this dang 3.0Ghz mark that has been eluding me. What do you think about setting the multi to 7 or 6 and trying to get out of this FSB hole that I keep hearing the ASUS P5B supposedly has. I tried to set the multi to 7 but it wouldn't post. Are you able to set the multi to 6 or 7 on the E6400? It clocks down to 6 multi when idling with Speedstep enabled, shouldn't be too hard right. I really appreciate all the advice you have given me so far. I keep hearing that I got a bum chip. I don't want to hear that. And I still can not find what this "FSB Termination Voltage" does or if it will help a stubborn overclock?? Does anybody here have thoughts on that? Thanx again guys.:thumb: