What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Project: Behemoth (Reborn)

ImmaPC

^GPU. Hands down. Don't ask why, it just is. Oh wait...I think it's because GPU's generally handle more heavy math loads then CPU's are designed for. Plus GPU's have shaders...Cha-Ching.

48-cores...holy smoke. I use 4 VMWares to fold on an "8 core" i7. 24 VM's...Dang. How much is a single Istanbul? How much for daughter boards? I'd love to calculate this all out. Fill me in CM!

Arinoth

Staff member
I agree with you there ImmaPC, for the most part GPUs will out fold CPUs because of the way they are designed to perform math (aka graphical) and physics calculations over CPUs (yeah i'm repeating ImmaPC)

Look at the ppd of a some lower end (by today's standards) GPU or a fairly "old" high end gpu from the past, most if not all of them will out fold a CPU. In order for me to match the folding my single GTX 260 does, i essentially have to engage 6-8 cores of my i7. Also, one can more easily throw in an extra GPU or 2 rather then an additional cpu for folding.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
^GPU. Hands down. Don't ask why, it just is. Oh wait...I think it's because GPU's generally handle more heavy math loads then CPU's are designed for. Plus GPU's have shaders...Cha-Ching.

48-cores...holy smoke. I use 4 VMWares to fold on an "8 core" i7. 24 VM's...Dang. How much is a single Istanbul? How much for daughter boards? I'd love to calculate this all out. Fill me in CM!

Expensive. Very Expensive.
Not something I afford right now, but maybe someday. I would probably get the daughter board + Hypertransport risers first, and add some more Barcelona Opterons like the ones I have, before going to Shanghai/Istanbul opterons. Someday.... someday...

ImmaPC

Holy cow. Where did you get the paper for this savage build in the first place? Do you just stack paper so high it's like Everest, or what? =D

I'm looking up prices for this stuff. Will update this post.

As it turns out those Istanbul's for the top-end 2435 (I THINK) on shopbot was $1300 or something apiece. So:

Tyan whatever stupid big long model number mobo: $1000
+ unkown risers : $600?
+ daughter board (forgot model) : $900?
8x AMD Opteron 2435 2.6GHZ 4800MHZ HT S1207: $1300 x 8
256GB (32x8GB) DDR2-800 :$9920

^Thought I'd get you some nice stuff that won't stress your mobo too much. =D Of course, these numbers aren't 150% accurate because it's a MAJOR PITA searching through server parts vendors' sites for all these little bits with big-ass model #'s. Theyre also a bit inflated because, I don't think that there's a single server on the planet that actually uses 48 cores and 256GB of memory (well maybe like MIT servers, or Google servers or something). So yeah.

Total: $22,820. Congrats. Hey, throw a nice Mercedes or a BMW on top for me, will ya? :bleh:

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I'll see what I can do, lol!

One thing though: You've chosen 2000-series Istanbuls. Those are far cheaper than the 8000-series I need because the 2000-series only does 2-way multiprocessing (2 sockets) and the 8000-series does 8-way(8 sockets) which is what I have.

Cheapest I can find Istanbul opterons right now is approx. $2,800 each for the 8435's (6-cores @ 2.6ghz). Just makes it a weeee bit more expensive, hehe.

ImmaPC

Oh, snap. I was looking on shopbot and searched "hexa core opteron" and the 2000's were the only ones that came up. Thought that those actually were the only series.

Scratch that. I did see some 8000's but they were sold inside some $20,000+ servers. So, I guess add another... oh say $5,000. "All I wanna do is *bang bang bang bang* and a *click* *KA-CHING* and take yo monay"

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Don't worry, we have been monitoring him. If he posts a sale thread anytime soon, it will be locked.

tri5cui7

I have a question, and I didn't see the answer anywhere. What exactly are you going to use this beast for? Do you render or fold? Or is it purely a passion project?

Latest posts

Twitter