What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Project: Caspar - Octacore Linux Server

steers

Gaaaah, I can't for the life of me get the board to see my last stick of RAM. For some reason I can't get the DIMM to seat "satisfyingly" in the last of CPU1's banks and it's driving me mad! It just kind of pushes in most of the way on one side, but it doesn't snap in. There was a bit of what looked like rust around one of the pins in the slot, which I managed to clean out using a fresh toothbrush and some iso, but cleaning it didn't seem to do anything... I'm gonna have to talk to Chilly about this...

Why won't you work, dammit?! :angry2:

holy shit that thing is a monster, i'd hate to see your power bill.

I'm renting, all utilities included. It's not my power bill ;)

Delavan

steers,

What's you're reasoning behind the replacement of the 2 massive 230mm fans by the 3 Noctua? More CFM?
Don't you thing the 2 CM would have been enough?

I'm just asking, because I ordered the ATCS840 Thursdays night and I'll be receiving it soon.
Of course, with my system's specs, I don't think I'll need as much cooling as you do...

holy shit that thing is a monster, i'd hate to see your power bill

Lol, the OP bought the Seasonic 650-X 80 gold-rated PSU for maximum power efficiency!

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
That really sucks about the ram channel dude. It's one of those reasons i'm always hesitant about buying used.

Cant wait to see ya get it up and running - see what kind of tpf you get :p

steers

That really sucks about the ram channel dude. It's one of those reasons i'm always hesitant about buying used.

Cant wait to see ya get it up and running - see what kind of tpf you get :p

Yeah, I talked to Chilly about it, and he said to try reseating the CPU so I guess I could try that... Not sure what kind of good that'll do but it's pretty much all I have left to try.

Last edited:

Chilly

I never had an issue with the board, and had been using it with 12GB of RAM as well actually, till the day I delivered it to you. None-the-less, lets see if we can't get it working :thumb:

My Worklog with the board you now own(in case your curious): http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/16620-project-chaos-1-0-a.html

As for the reason I recommended re-seating the CPU, I have seen it in the past(not on this board mind you) where if the LGA contacts on a LGA1366(i7/Xeon) CPU don't make perfect contact, not all the ram will post.

Last edited:

Delavan

What's you're reasoning behind the replacement of the 2 massive 230mm fans by the 3 Noctua? More CFM?

steers

Well, honestly, I figured that since I was already using 2 Noctua heatsinks, I might as well load up with Noctua fans. It wasn't a necessary measure by any means. The big fan is actually pretty good. I have the one on the front running at 7V and it's whisper quiet.

steers

Okay, in case there was any doubt, I am certifiably daft. :whistle:

Here I am racking my brains trying to come up with how the board could possibly not be seeing that final DIMM (when it worked fine for Chilly up to the day he sold it) when I remembered: I had installed all the recommended EATX standoffs onto the motherboard tray, but not all of them had matching holes on the motherboard. I realized that one of them was probably shorting out the problematic slot! :shok:
I might be able to salvage this operation, and quickly too! :clap:

So I rip out the motherboard tray (a surprisingly easy task with this case/build; I would have hated to make this mistake with my 800D build) and sure enough I found the culprits:

fasweh.jpg

So, eager to find out whether it fixed the problem, I fired 'er up and sure enough, 12GB!!
:bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky:

ra3hur.jpg

Man do I ever feel like a noob :doh:
Am I ever glad it's fixed though. It would have been a monumental pain in the ass to get that repaired...

Anyway, onwards and upwards! It's Linux time! :thumb:

Latest posts

Twitter