What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Project: Caspar - Octacore Linux Server

steers

Hello again everybody. The opportunity has presented itself to finally build a dedicated server for around the house (I live with 3 other software engineers) thanks to Chilly. I thought I would document the gradual process here on HWC. Nothing like a good summer project, right? As far as the name, this is going to bring the number of computers I'm currently running up to 3, so I decided to take the names of the MAGI (from Evangelion moreso than the Bible). Real original I know, but it's fun :thumb:

Anyway, some planned out specs:

2x Xeon E5504 (2.0 GHz Quad-core, LGA1366) - from Chilly => GET!!
SuperMicro X8DAi - from Chilly => GET!!
XFX Radeon HD 4850 - Shipped => GET!!
CoolerMaster ATCS840 - Shipped => GET!!
6x 2GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 - Shipped => GET!!
Seasonic X650 PSU - Shipped => GET!!
2x Noctua NH-U12DX - Shipped => GET!!
4x Noctua NH-P12 - Shipped => GET!!

Disks:
Intel X25-M G2 (/boot, /) => GET!!
WD Black 1TB (/swap, /home) - Shipped => GET!!
WD Green 2TB (/samba)

The plan is to have this server do pretty much everything for us. It'll be running CentOS 5.5, and its duties will be:
Game server (TF2, Minecraft, etc.)
Fileserver (BitTorrent server too)
App server (SQL, SVN, MATLAB, etc.)
Some networking stuff (VPN)

June 12th: Build complete.

110aadh.jpg

News:
May-21: Xeons and motherboard acquired from Chilly. Today is GOOD day.
May-23: After a bit of research I've chosen the Seasonic X650 to power the server. 80PLUS Gold seems pretty important for a system that's going to be on 24/7. Full modularity is a nice bonus too :thumb:
May-25: The UPS man showed up today with a small shipment (a few fans, the video card), but I thought I'd snap a pic of what I've got going so far. See below.

2vskz09.jpg

May-26: The case came today, but I'm feeling a bit too lazy to do much work on it. I installed the P12s that I had in the top and that's about it. I'll probably post another update later in the week, or on the weekend.
May-27: Set my sights on Mushkin's 1333MHz 6GB Blackline kit with 7-7-7-20 timings. Good price, and I've heard good things about Mushkin. Going to pick up a couple of kits in the next order.
May-31: Paycheck get! Arranged to get a couple of Mushkin kits FedEx'd here.
June-3: The memory came today, and the credit card's been paid off so it's time to place another order! This'll cover everything except the SSD and the 2TB drive, which I suppose will make up the entirety of the final order.
June-3: Power supply, heatsinks, 1TB Black and the last fan (ordered today) shipped out today via Purolator Express :thumb:
June-4: A beautiful brown cardboard box showed up at my doorstop today. I'm only waiting for one more, but in the meantime (not this weekend though) I can get started on whipping things together :biggrin:
June-7: I took the time to get what I had (mostly) installed into the case. Check out my later post for more early-stage build pics.

5cem2t.jpg

June-12: Got it fully assembled. All that's left now is to work out the last few issues then onto configuration! :clap: More shots in a later post.
June-16: Finally found it was extra standoffs shorting out my last RAM slot. Remove those and problem solved! Now it's time to get installin'! :bananafunky:

Last edited:

ImmaPC

Sweet, octo-core 16-thread beast. Woot! I absolutely love it when people do multiple-CPU builds, it makes the dream I have just a bit closer to reality. And I love Minecraft, good call. Damn griefers. :haha:

S

shaw

Sweet, octo-core 16-thread beast. Woot! I absolutely love it when people do multiple-CPU builds, it makes the dream I have just a bit closer to reality. And I love Minecraft, good call. Damn griefers. :haha:

Nope, dual CPU 8 threads machine since the E5504s don't have HT.

martin_metal_88

hmmm ATCS ( imagine homer saying hm donuts ) This build, in THIS case, will be a true geek boner maker! keep us up to date!

steers

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. :thumb:

I may be jumping the gun a bit here but I already placed an order for the ATCS, a few fans and the video card (which I changed my mind about and instead got an XFX HD4850 - apparently better Linux driver support, and I believe it's a better card than the 9800GT, even though this probably won't be playing games much anyway). I've got the cash to do the deal with Chilly this week, so with luck I can get things started soon at least.
:bananafunky:

steers

Chilly just made the trip to my office in Waterloo to hand-deliver the motherboard and CPUs. What a swell fellow :punk:

The case and the video card are on their way here from BC (shipped on Tuesday), but I don't expect them to show up on my doorstep until after the long weekend. Once the ATCS arrives, I'll throw what I've got in there and take a couple teaser pics to show off :thumb:

It'll probably be a couple of paychecks before I can continue the build after this... A bit behind on my rent as it is :whistle:

Last edited:

martin_metal_88

XEON in the house!!! nice can't wait to see that rig runnig and the work you will do with the ATCS. For sure you will LOVE IT!

ImmaPC

I'm not into Xeons so I wouldn't know. AFAIK (until now) anything 1366 means Nehalem which means Threads = 2x cores. Fail on my part :haha::doh: