Not much longer, folks! I'll try to snap a few pics of my pile of WCing junk and get em up here tonight, if I have time. The slow transition process shall begin tomorrow, there's a lot of work that needs to be done! :funky:
With some luck and determination, I'll have Chronos underwater by the time Borderlands hits on the 26th. Stay tuned :thumb:
EDIT: Get confirmed!! Finally, the all the components are within my grasp. I can hardly wait to get off work so I can get started unk:
All righty. Sorry for being such a tease about the pictures everyone. I think Bell's onto our shenanigans now, as our internet's dead slow now, packets dropping left and right. I wasn't even able to upload a single photo last night. But I'm on the boss's webs now, so here's a quick pic of the goods all laid out and ready:
I'm thinking the loop is going to look something like this (it may change once I actually start finagling with the tubing):
Res > Pump > Rad > CPU > GPU > Mosfet/NB
This will avoid any potentially severe kinks when trying to route the tubing between the blocks, methinks. Hopefully I won't run into any problems tying everything together, and hopefully this won't cause any major flow issues. I think I'm going to try to plan out where/how I'm going to stick the pump and res in the case tonight, or at the least make sure everything fits OK. I want to ideally minimize the amount of hard modifications required here, so I picked up a pack of "industrial strength" Velcro. I think we'll be having some fun with that :biggrin:
Well fellas, today was the day I decided to finally get off my ass and take Chronos underwater (or at least start the process). The original plan was to get everything started/finished last weekend, before Borderlands came out, but some work stuff came up and threw off my whole weekend schedule. Then of course Borderlands came out on Monday, so naturally playing that took priority over most other things (as I'm sure many other HWCers can attest).
In a surprising bout of productivity, I was able to get all my blocks installed in one night. Everything is gooped up and screwed in, all I have to do now is mount my reservoir and pump and plumb 'er up. If all goes well I should be all leak-tested by the time the trick-or-treaters get here tomorrow :thumb:... uh, I guess mean later today :haha:
Anyhoo, I'll quit my blathering and get to the pics.
Friday, 8:30pm: Build starts. First (easiest) order of business: mounting the fans on the rad. Feser gave me a set of rubber 120mm fan vibration dampeners, presumably to use between the fans and the case. That's not how I'm gonna run my setup, so I decided to cut 'em down (the middle bits just sag between the fan and the fins; might cause more vibration/turbulence than it ever would have mitigated) and slip em between my fans and the rad itself.
As recommended by Corsair, I'm going to have my fans exhausting air out through the rad at the top of the case. I think I have enough of my components underwater that I won't really have to worry about the air at the top of the case being significantly hotter than the rest of it anyway. On go the Panaflos:
(P.S. I've taken over the living room as my workshop for the weekend. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner)
Friday, 11:30pm: Installed the water block on the GTX 275. This was an interesting experience. This was my first time ever installing any sort of aftermarket cooler on a video card, and it was also my first water block installation. That might explain why it took me three hours.
I proceeded to excavate the motherboard from the case so I could mount the necessary hardware on it, as well as fit my radiator up top. 62mm rad + 38mm fans = 100 mm thick, rock-hard cooling muscle.
I managed to rip the stock heatsinks off the Classified pretty easily, but cleaning all the thermal gunk off the X58 chip was a royal pain in the sausage. I gave up after a certain point. That ArctiClean stuff can be a bit unwieldy at times.
Saturday, 1:30am: Finally manage to get the full-coverage block installed on the Classified. At this point I started to get annoyed with MX-3's seeming inability to spread evenly, but I've still, much to my surprise, not encountered any major issues.
Saturday, 2:00am: Installed the Heatkiller. The easiest job I've done all night, even though I needed to wrangle in an extra set of hands to mount the backplate.
Saturday, 3:00am: Threw everything back into the case and got 'er prepped for tomorrow's work. I hope you guys can sort of see how I plan on setting up the loop. I'm going to need a bit of creativity in order to mount that res well (without hard-modding the case). I planned on using velcro, but the surface between the motherboard and the 5.25" bays isn't quite flat enough thanks to the cable management grommets. With luck I won't have any major problems routing the tubing tomorrow.
A bit of a close-up on the work done today:
A few notes on my build experience with the case so far:
2) Oh my god, why does this thing weigh a million pounds? I haven't even filled it with water yet!!
I'll try to make another post tomorrow with some pics of the (hopefully) finished cooling setup unk:
Also, I'd like to thank everyone for following along with my humble project. Thanks to this forum, I've discovered that building computers is much more fun when you have an audience :haha:
that artic clean stuff is horrible... I tried it once out of curiosity... well the cat died and it went into the bin. Use Iso dude... its cheaper and wont harm the mobo. looks great tho mang... I'm looking forward to doing the full water setup on my rig soon.
Hardware Canucks is focused in-depth reviews of the the latest graphics cards, CPUs, storage, smartphones, notebooks and gaming peripherals. Join us as we unbox, review and benchmark the best computer hardware on the market.