What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Project "Gettin' out of the Ghetto"

biff

Yeah I'm resurrecting my OLD thread. I did some updates/upgrades since and didn't think it was worth another thread.

Upgraded to a GTX 280 along the way and finally have it on water. I added a 120.2 rad up top and switched around the loops so that the 120.2 is for the CPU and the dual heater cores are for the GPU. I also upgrades the pumps (not sure if I'm calling it an upgrade at this point) from the CPX-1's to CPX-Pro's. It's starting to get a little crowded in the cosmos.

I've been leak testing for a couple weeks and all seems well but the one loop is STILL losing coolant. Oddly way back I thought it was a little leak in one of my heater cores but the loop that is losing coolant is the CPU loop that now has the new 120.2 rad and a new pump... and new hose. The only parts that are the same are the Dtek fusion block and micro-res but I can't find any evidence of any leak at either part. I'd really like to know where that F'n water is going!!

I have an idea for finding that though. I'm going to be replacing the distilled water with fesser blue UV stuff. I am thinking that where ever the coolant is going, after it evaporates should leave behind residue that should fluoresce under UV light. It's obviously not a big deal as it hasn't affected anything other than having to top up the res every couple months but I'd still like to know... who knows maybe it could get worse. Assuming my theory works out does any body know of a readily available light source that I could use to light up the residue left by the coolant without having to buy a specific UV light just for this. I wonder if they make black lights that screw into a normal light socket like those compact fluorescent bulbs?

I'll throw up some updated pics hopefully tonight after I change over to the pretty blue coolant. I know you're all giddy with anticipation! :haha:

kzEr

Yeah I'm resurrecting my OLD thread. I did some updates/upgrades since and didn't think it was worth another thread.

Upgraded to a GTX 280 along the way and finally have it on water. I added a 120.2 rad up top and switched around the loops so that the 120.2 is for the CPU and the dual heater cores are for the GPU. I also upgrades the pumps (not sure if I'm calling it an upgrade at this point) from the CPX-1's to CPX-Pro's. It's starting to get a little crowded in the cosmos.

I've been leak testing for a couple weeks and all seems well but the one loop is STILL losing coolant. Oddly way back I thought it was a little leak in one of my heater cores but the loop that is losing coolant is the CPU loop that now has the new 120.2 rad and a new pump... and new hose. The only parts that are the same are the Dtek fusion block and micro-res but I can't find any evidence of any leak at either part. I'd really like to know where that F'n water is going!!

I have an idea for finding that though. I'm going to be replacing the distilled water with fesser blue UV stuff. I am thinking that where ever the coolant is going, after it evaporates should leave behind residue that should fluoresce under UV light. It's obviously not a big deal as it hasn't affected anything other than having to top up the res every couple months but I'd still like to know... who knows maybe it could get worse. Assuming my theory works out does any body know of a readily available light source that I could use to light up the residue left by the coolant without having to buy a specific UV light just for this. I wonder if they make black lights that screw into a normal light socket like those compact fluorescent bulbs?

I'll throw up some updated pics hopefully tonight after I change over to the pretty blue coolant. I know you're all giddy with anticipation! :haha:

A quick google yields that they do have screw black light bulbs...
ex FTBPESL13T-BLB - Feit Electric 13 Watt Compact Fluorescent Blacklight Twist Bulb

Home Depot does carry them...but I'm not sure if thats only at Halloween; try there or maybe a 'party' store?

biff

Finally got those pics. Good camera crapped out on me so I had to use the P.& S. or is it P.O.S.? So sorry about the crap arse quality of the pics.

rdsc03560.jpg

rdsc03559.jpg

rdsc03557.jpg

Somewhat more congested than the last iteration but not to 'rats nest' proprtions yet IMO... But it's on the ragged edge. I may go back to using the CPX-1's (for quiet sake) as I really don't see any temp advantage using them. Getting ~ the same temps using the cpx-pro/MCR240 as I had with a cpx-1 and a single HC (that was pretty dusty). I'd always thought a single HC would be better than a MCR240... I guess here's a little proof.

TopDogZero

Wow really nice, I'm usually not a big fan of the look of rads in a PC but those heat cores look awesome gives the case a very masculine feel.

Toyoracer

Awesome job, really looks like a pro did it. This gives me a standard to shoot for when I start my build. Thanks biff