What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress [PROJECT]: I ain't gonna work on DT's farm no more

Dead Things

You Need your own Water fall and generator. :)

lots of fun planned.
Lots of fun indeed! My hope is that the redesigned farm will actually consume less electricity than it does currently. Although, the waterfall ain't a bad idea...

Hey DT, for your BOSServer, what thermal paste/adhesive did you use to stick those ram sinks on your vrms on your ASUS Z8NA-D6?
What you're looking at is actually a RIIIE. The previous owner put the heatsinks on, so I can't say for certain, but I do know that Enzotech heatsinks come with 3M thermal tape - so I would imagine he just used the included thermal tape:

NCIX.com - Buy Enzotech MOS-C1 Exceptional Heat Dissipation for Integrated Mosfet Motherboards & Video Cards - EnzoTech - MOS-C1 - in Canada
NCIX.com - Buy Enzotech BMR-C1 Forged Copper BGA Memory Heatsinks for Video Card Memory 8 Pack W/ Thermaltape - EnzoTech - BMR-C1 - in Canada

Toyoracer

Dead Things awesome setups.:clap: How about a Custom case where they are all in together. Bottom square for the watercooled and triangle on top.

Just a crazy idea for one crazy farm :haha::haha:

PerryC

This thread got me looking more and more into stuff like this too tinker with. So after my rig gets sorted out, and my oldest son's build is done I am going to look at my own server build to play with.

Its all your fault DT:bleh:

Seriously though, there some nice looking builds there.

BrainEater

Yea really nice kit there DT.

I will watch this.

---

:thumb:

Oh have I mentioned ? You fold for the wrong team. :biggrin::biggrin:

Dead Things

I've been up at the cottage, hence the long delay between updates. But I'm back and ready to start working - slowly but surely - on the farm rebuild. First, I have some good news...

8439SEs.jpg

The Opteron 8439SE's for Leviathan have arrived! I'm pretty excited about this because I've been trying to find a reasonably affordable set of these processors for about a year now. Well, my search has finally come to an end!

Now the bad news...

Tyan_RMA.jpg

Unbelievably, my Tyan S4985 in Leviathan died on me after 16 straight months of reliability mere moments before I could install my 8439SE's. Moments! So off to Tyan it goes. This time, though, it's for warranty repair since they have no more replacements left. So if they are unable to repair the board, then my year-long endeavour to build a quad Istanbul system will have been thwarted precisely at the moment when the dream was about to be realized. How wonderfully and horribly typical of computers is that?

Anyway - I'm working on Rexy right now but won't provide any updates yet because I am too verklempt about Leviathan. Just talk amongst yourselves.

Coffee Talk With Linda Richman(HQ) - YouTube

Dead Things

As mentioned previously, I've been working on Rexy. Rexy is probably the least interesting of the builds on the docket, so in a way it's kinda a bummer that we're starting there. But whatever. As my wife's cousin's husband says 98 times a day, "It is what it is." Nice guy, but quite obviously something of a dullard. Anyway, so things were progressing quite nicely with Rexy, as all the little decisions I was making along the way seemed to be working out. Here's a picture of the progress to date.

Rexy-Update01.jpg

That's about as far as I've gotten because - well, I thought I had a T-line barb in my big box of watercooling junk, but apparently I don't. So I've ordered one from NCIX. Don't you just love it when an entire build is halted while you wait for a $1.93 part? I expect to get it tomorrow, but tomorrow is a league night for softball, so I don't know how much juice I'll have left in the tank to work on it when I get back.

Anyway, some things I'd like to point out...

I took off and re-fastened the Apogee Drive logo on the waterblock so that I could mount it upside down. This loop is going to be almost as simple as one of those self-contained LCS units, so I wanted the barbs pointing directly towards where the tubing will be going out the back door to the rad.

I ziptied a Coolermaster R4-SPS-20AK-GP 80mm fan to the northbridge heatsink. Active cooling is a necessity here, and since I'll have a waterblock on the CPU, there won't be enough residual airflow to keep the chipset temps in check. I love this particular fan because it is just 15mm thick. Right now, I have it mounted on the bottom pointed up, but if I ever needed to put a GPU in the top PCIe slot, the thinness of the fan would enable me to mount it on the top either pulling air up or pushing air down through the heatsink. A regular 25mm-thick fan would have been too wide to offer that kind of flexibility here.

Cable management ain't too pretty, but hey - this is an Antec 900 we're talking about here, so cut me some slack. Also - this build is earmarked for the laundry room, so it's the only one that doesn't actually have any aesthetic considerations tied to it.

While I await my $1.93 T-line, I thought I'd also make a bit of progress on Suite300. I put some of the components on a test bench (as seen below) and am happy to report that the LSI 9211-4i and the ASUS P7P55 WS get along just swimmingly, thank you very much! I set up my RAID arrays and installed Windows. According to CrystalDiskMark, I'm getting:

On the 2 x Corsair Force 3 120GB in RAID0 (with Windows installed)
- Seq: 403.0 MB/s Read, 270.8 MB/s Write
- 512k: 364.5 MB/s Read, 270.6 MB/s Write
- 4k: 27.72 MB/s Read, 82.25 MB/s Write
- 4kQD32: 195.2 MB/s Read, 263.2 MB/s Write

On the 2 x Samsung F1 750GB in RAID0 (empty)
- Seq: 208.3 MB/s Read, 211.3 MB/s Write
- 512k: 49.68 MB/s Read, 85.01 MB/s Write
- 4k: 0.630 MB/s Read, 2.576 MB/s Write
- 4kQD32: 2.051 MB/s Read, 2.535 MB/s Write

No idea if those numbers are good, bad or ugly. But they seem fast enough to me. In the words of Farmer Hoggett, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." Incidentally, that PNY 8800GTS you see me testing Suite300 with in the picture below can be yours for just four easy payments of $10.00!

Suite300-Update01.jpg

One last update, and I've saved the best for last. Frozen Q finally finished the pump tops for his new dual bay res, and I ordered mine today! I'm giddy like a school girl. It will probably be a while before it gets here (all orders are built by hand to spec), but it should look a little something like this...

redbay.jpg

d5angle.jpg

I'm starting to get excited! I just love that thing!

Last edited:

Dead Things

And Rexy is now complete! It feels good to get one out of the way with relatively few bumps in the road along the way. Rexy passed leak testing without issue. The Xeon E5649 ES got up to a fairly pedestrian overclock of 4.0 GHz - but since it's headless, I don't want to have to SSH into it too often to monitor it, so I would prefer it be stable at the expense of a few hundred megahertz. The Patriot DDR3-1333 RAM, incidentally, has been overclocked to 1600 MHz, 9-9-9-27-1T. I know Patriot doesn't have the best reputation as far as RAM goes, but I've gotten this kit as high as DDR3-1750 while benchmarking. It goes like stink.

So how does the makeshift mini-loop perform? After 1 hr of LinX testing, temps max out at 63 degrees at 4.0 GHz. In my experience, folding has about a 5-10% discount on temps compared to LinX, so I would expect max folding temperatures to be somewhere around 58 degrees with an ambient of about 25. That's certainly better performance than my H70, and maybe even better than an H100. Not bad for four-year-old equipment.

Anyway, here are the last two pics of Rexy in all of her finalized glory...

Rexy-Update03.jpg

Rexy-Update04.jpg

So what's next? Frankly, I'm not sure. I have to wait for my res from FrozenQ before I can really start putting Suite300 together, and I also need some more stuff from Dazmode too. Leviathan is on ice until I get my mobo back. Shoebox needs a case still not to mention watercooling gear from Dazmode. So that leaves BOSServer and Twofour. I have all the materials I need for both, but I need to schedule the downtime because BOSServer is in production. So I suppose the long and short of what I'm trying to say is, it might be a little while before you see any further updates. So in the interim, I leave you with this...

Grateful Dead live - Maggie's Farm - YouTube

Last edited:

Latest posts