What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress Project "I'm sick of shoehorning things in a Cerberus-X and I'm moving to a MORA3 rebuild".

Xeven

The board has some warping. Usually doesn't matter, but we'll see. 😬
YiwJFKU.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
I honestly don't think I'd accept that (especially on a stupidly expensive board). Yes it will flatten out once it's installed on the case, but (IMO) that warping indicates that some of the component pins and/or the board heatsinks aren't evenly installed/soldered.

I'd be concerned that once you tighten it down in the case, the solder traces that aren't resting naturally in the "flattened" state will develop cold joints and/or outright separate from the board over time.

Not sure if I explained that well, but needless to say it's not an ideal situation.

Bond007

The board has some warping. Usually doesn't matter, but we'll see. 😬
YiwJFKU.jpg

Jesus. That's a potatoe chip!

Wow. Not expected on that expensive a board... or maybe ever! Perhaps it will flatten out when screwed into the case?

I honestly don't think I'd accept that (especially on a stupidly expensive board). Yes it will flatten out once it's installed on the case, but (IMO) that warping indicates that some of the component pins and/or the board heatsinks aren't evenly installed/soldered.

I'd be concerned that once you tighten it down in the case, the solder traces that aren't resting naturally in the "flattened" state will develop cold joints and/or outright separate from the board over time.

Not sure if I explained that well, but needless to say it's not an ideal situation.
It is definitely appears slightly warped, but I am not sure it is anywhere near as bad as it appears at a glance. The IO shield/bracket/plate (whatever you choose to call it) is holding the right side of the board up in that photo.

Could you take another picture with the IO shield off the side of the box?

Xeven

Honestly, the only reason I'm thinking of keeping it is that I got it from newegg.com through a forwarder. Returning it is such a PITA. Newegg.ca and I would have shipped it back the same day. 😬

Xeven

It is definitely appears slightly warped, but I am not sure it is anywhere near as bad as it appears at a glance. The IO shield/bracket/plate (whatever you choose to call it) is holding the right side of the board up in that photo.

Could you take another picture with the IO shield off the side of the box?
I just mounted it on a testbench do I can't take a good photo from that side atm. I'll take another photo once I take it off.

Latest posts