What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Project: Kangzilla

Liu Kang

Kangzilla

I don't post here often anymore, but thought I'd share my "dream build". It's a work in progress, and I will try my best to report back regularly... as always, I'm open to any and all feedback, although I probably won't listen ;) Cheers!

*editted Nov. 7, 2011

PARTS

MOBO: EVGA Classified SR-2
CPUS: x5650s
GPUS: 2x EVGA 3GB GTX 580
PSUS: 2 x Silverstone Strider ST1000F
RAM: 6x2GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000
HDS: 2 x Intel x-25m 160GB SSD
CASE: I purchased an anodized black MountainMods Extended Ascension w/ pedestal, horizon 10 back panel and the SR-2 motherboard tray. I ordered 2 custom panels, both for the front of the case. The pedestal front is "blank", as I will modify it to hold my controller/rheostat setup for all of my fans. The front of the Ascension was modified to fit four 360 rads horizontally.

COOLING

FANS: 20 x Gentle Typhoon (1450rpm).
PUMPS: 6 x Laing DDC w/ EK tops (3 loops, redundant, serial)
RADS: 5 x HW Labs SR-1 360
BLOCKS: EK Supreme LT (CPUs), EK Acetal/Nickel (GPUs), MIPS POM/Nickel (MB, RAM)
MISC: Matte black Bitspower compression 1/2ID 3/4OD, Black Tygon R3400
LOOPS: GPU, CPU, Mobo/RAM

Some teaser pics:

I cringe when I see this box and my PSUs lying in the corner :( Sleeving suxxorz.

Last edited:

SiDiX007

This is going to be one monster of a system.... cant wait to see more pics and updates. Hope everything goes smoothly for yah.

0o0

Banned
I'm about to jizz my pants... awesome project, subscribed. For cpu's you can find used i7 920's for just over $200, but if you get 980x's I'll really jizz my pants. btw if you don't want to sleeve all that, there are pre-sleeved extensions from nzxt. The only part you'd absolutely need to sleeve yourself is the sata cables, because the pre-sleeved extension is actually a molex to sata which looses the 3.3v. Also consider re-crimping your sata cable plugs, I just used a flat head screwdriver for mine:

and the single sata on the other end is for the optical drive, routed it along the front panel and back to the drive from above. *fingers crossed that you'll get fermi's*

Liu Kang

Oh man, this should turn out nicely. Can I suggest 7 watercooled 480's for the video cards :p?
To be honest, I will likely go with ATI for the first time in my life...

I'm about to jizz my pants... awesome project, subscribed. For cpu's you can find used i7 920's for just over $200, but if you get 980x's I'll really jizz my pants.
*edit* CORRECTION: you can only run 55xx and 56xx xeons on this board, period.

Last edited:

_dangtx_

Banned
hold on a sec. this board can work with a single cpu, but its got to be a xeon right?

Liu Kang

total estimated cost? :shok:
Never bothered doing the math... I'm married, own my house and I don't have any other hobbies, so I don't really care too much.

hold on a sec. this board can work with a single cpu, but its got to be a xeon right?
*edit* CORRECTION: The board can run with only 1 cpu, but it must be a 55xx or 56xx series xeon.

Last edited:

El_Fiendo

Never bothered doing the math... I'm married, own my house and I don't have any other hobbies, so I don't really care too much.
If you could indulge us with a total at the end, I'd be much appreciative. I need to figure out how many people I need to hack up in my bathtub to sell for spare parts.

Also, thanks for the fap material for later tonight.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I get a kick out of these types of builds. I think of doing these, but I would like some day to own a house so I can't. ;p

I have a ticket for Lotto Max tonight...$50 million....maybe if I win!!

Twitter