What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Project: Power Hackintosh

Photograph

Congrat my friend this is for sure one of the best workblog in the forum!!! If all mac could be like that they would be a lot nicer to my eyes XDXDXD Carry on with more rig!!!

Thank you very much man, I have plenty of projects planned that I will share with the community. :canadianwave:

wow that's looks really awesome.. I'm guessing the back i/o shield didn't fit? All the internal components look like they fit together like a glove lol:haha:

What OS are you running on it? Would it be mac OS by any chance?:whistle:

edit: woah just noticed those sata cables under the psu connected to the mobo:shok: would it be possible to change them at all?

Thanks, and the SATA cables are fairly easily accessed if I needed to make any changes as there is plenty of space under the PSU rack. As for the operating system; this machine is currently running Windows 7 64bit as it is my gaming PC. And I didn't bother with the stock IO shield, the polycarbonite one I built fits beautifully though and lets plenty of light out through the back of the case.

what a sick mod man! good job!

Thanks man, I am glad the mod was well recieved.

There will be a few updates to this project in April as I will be upgrading the cooling on the crossfired video cards as the inside card gets pretty toasty when gaming or benching. And I am working on building a RAM cooler that will actually fit without bumping into anything.

Updates to come as they happen :thumb:

Photograph

Update time!

I ran a quick test after my build and saw that the inside 5770 hit 100°C and kept climbing when maxing out the Unigine Heaven benchmark. After a minute or two of those types of temperatures I took out one of the cards and ran a single until my cooling solution showed up in the mail on Friday:

A pair of Arctic Cooling Accelero 1 Rev. 2 coolers.

4512281678_4661ef26dd_o.jpg

4511641583_e7bf5ba33b_o.jpg

The single card with the stock cooling idles around 40°C and hits 70°C under load, with two cards in Crossfire using stock cooling they idled at 65°C and under load as stated it shot up to the 100°C range as noted above.

I got rid of the plastic junk attached to the cooler to start:

4511642359_ee35dea56f_o.jpg

And then lapped the surface of the inside cooler, this is not an easy cooler to lap. I then cut the coolers down by around 1cm in order to fit nicely into MacBane, I took my time with a pair of shears and got some pretty good results. I sanded the cut end of the fins (not shown) to get rid of any sharp edges or potential metal splinters or fragments.

4512282920_47690d2a6b_o.jpg

4512283136_2ed513fc71_o.jpg

I cut the VRM sinks to size and started putting both cards together.

4512283884_ed370c5ce0_o.jpg

4511643899_bb3d00cf90_o.jpg

Something important to point out: If you use the stock spacers that come with the cooler there will be a 1-2mm gap between the cooler's base and the GPU die as seen in the image below.

4511644019_d148b34a42_o.jpg

This will likely give you a bricked card if you try to run it like this, so I made some smaller spacers out of PVC tubing and was good to go (Stock on the left, homemade on the right).

4512284510_bcfe594147_o.jpg

And here they are ready to go, pics benchmarks and temperature updates to come shortly now that they are back into MacBane.

4512284796_5702635dc7_o.jpg

4512285178_702efb7df4_o.jpg

Photograph

You are definitely a very meticulous person! Again, great build!

Good choice on the coolers. Is the crossfire bridge going to fit?

Thanks guys, as for the Crossfire bridge it simply slips between the fins at the port end of the cards as it doesn't have to go between any heatpipes.

I will work on getting this project to a real studio, nice pics to come then. :bananafunky:

dtportnoy69

WOah!

Siiiiick. Looking at the build brings an equivalent feeling of listening to a master drummer (since I'm a drummer).
It's so good it's depressing! :p Can I has your skillz?

Really awesome man. You really have an amazing eye for great aesthetics and attention to detail! I must've spent at least 30 minutes going through this thread. Really inspiring!

Can't wait to see the studio pics!

Latest posts