What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Project: PrometheusCU - Update #1 - Dec 3rd 08

dragoonxx

Pin up girl calendars, always great...one of the things I loved seeing that one of my cousins got into doing (he used to work for lostboyz studios until they closed up shop)

Langer

Fallen HWCer
Hello all, and greetings.

I'm afraid my $100,000 education is taking precedence over this little project.

Its been my intent for several weeks to post an update - but time doesn't play fare.

Prometheus still excites me and it's far from a chore, I've been purchasing bits for it periodically but I don't want to sacrifice any opportunities during my studies. Not to mention the fact that financing doesn't come as readily to a student as it did a few months ago when I was working.

On another note - I've recently (yesterday) completed the production which has been sapping my time away from Prometheus these past months. This will translate into further progress on the modding front soon - I'll be sure to document my work here for you all.

Let it be said -again- that I won't be walking away from this project!
I've never abandoned any project I've undertaken and I sure as shit wont start with Prometheus.

It's merely an issue of time and priorities - as much as I would LOVE to mod every day. The way I see it; 1 more year of dedicated, focused, hard work in school will ensure me a lifetime of prosperity... and I cannot let anything (even something as exciting, and fun as Prometheus) get in the way of that.

I'm sure you understand. Take solace in the knowledge that this project WILL come to a close sooner than later (lets just hope clients stop offering me obscene amounts of money to pull my focus away from modding - hahaha).

Langer

Fallen HWCer
Hello once again one and all!
In case you forgot... here's one of my later concept sketches for this mod.

I'm proud to say that I once again come before you bearing images.

The quality is sub-par, but when I have the time I'll assemble a great deal of pics using my new camera with some proper studio lighting.

Without further ado...

An overview shot showing the new fittings and One of Two reservoirs installed.
prometheuscu_update52_001.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_003.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_002.jpg

You can see the res is hard piped out from the top port on the mosfet block.
I fabricated a rear mount which can be slotted onto the fan guard.
There is a large gap between the res and the rear mount because I haven't installed the spacers which I cut from carbon which are intended to replicate the 'finned' design of the AquaTube reservoir from AquaCopmuter.
The front of the res actually hangs on the PSU shroud. I'm going to make a small slit in the PSU shroud in which a carbon peg can be slotted.
It took a shockingly long time to conceptualize and install - I'm very pleased. The second res will be mounted directly across the case - parallel - mounted to the copper drive bay shroud.

Here is the top fan guard - the slot is for an e-sata port connected to the Pico-ITX. The filing on this piece is still rough.
prometheuscu_update52_004.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_005.jpg

Here is the nearly completed modded mac keyboard, complete with carbon bottom.
prometheuscu_update52_006.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_007.jpg

As mentioned above, there are new fittings... I decided to go black nickel and copper. All the new stuff is 3/8" and came across the pond from Aquatuning.de.
Here's a small sampling.
prometheuscu_update52_008.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_009.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_010.jpg

New dust filters, also from aquatuning.
prometheuscu_update52_011.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_012.jpg

An SLI adapter to clean the plumbing on the graphics cards. This will require me to mod my customized "PrometheusCU edition" covers... wish me luck ;)
prometheuscu_update52_013.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_014.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_015.jpg

Here are some quick shots of the copper parts, many still unfiled, all still unbent, all still very sexy IMO.
prometheuscu_update52_016.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_017.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_018.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_019.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_020.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_021.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_022.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_023.jpg

To conclude this teaser, here is - another - mock-up of the base.
prometheuscu_update52_024.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_025.jpg

prometheuscu_update52_026.jpg

Thanks for your patience one and all, I hope you've enjoyed this taste of things to come...
I'll be back soon - and often - but until then, see you 'round the ether.

Waldie

Nice looking shots. I'm completely agreed - those parts are ridiculously sexy. You had said that you brought all that CNC equipment out to Vancouver with you, no? Where are you keeping it all?

Langer

Fallen HWCer
Thanks for the kind words.

The shop will be following me out west, but not until school is long and done with. It's currently being rented out back in Ontario.

Waldie

Ah, must've said it will be coming out. Makes sense. Hard to keep a shop in a hotel room. :haha:

Looking forward to see more of Prometheus!

Langer

Fallen HWCer
Thank you all for the kind words - I'll respond proder in my next update.

For now, I'd like to invite anyone interested in cheap -brand new- fittings to check out my thread in the For Sale/For Trade section:
Langer's Bitspower BLOWOUT
th_100_1735.jpg
th_100_1736.jpg
th_100_1737.jpg

th_100_1739.jpg
th_100_1741.jpg
th_100_1742.jpg

th_100_1743.jpg
th_100_1745.jpg
th_100_1746.jpg

th_100_1747.jpg
th_100_1748.jpg
th_100_1749.jpg

th_100_1750.jpg
th_100_1752.jpg

Langer

Fallen HWCer
Greetings and Hello fellow modders and enthusiasts.

First I'd like to start off by stating that I'm very sorry for the long wait! I apologize for the hold-up.

Life threw a few curveballs my way, and the Digital Design program at Vancouver Film School is intense; I can count on 1-hand the number of times I was able to go out and have fun this year. The course demands the completion of 81post secondary credits in just 1 year (as a comparison, many of my friends attending University here in Canada are required to complete only about 20credits a year).

Now it's all done and over with, if you'd like some info on where it's taken me check out the about page on my, still developing, website. I don't have much of my latest work on there but the about page should do a good job of summing me up. http://jesselang.ca/about-me

LETS GET TO IT SHALL WE?

I am proud to present, for your viewing pleasure, update number 53 in project PrometheusCU
==================================================================
[youtube]ifBnsYBb18U[/youtube]

When we last left off I was rushing to get parts cut in the week before I had to pack-up and move west to Vancouver. At that time I moved into a Hotel for the first 3months, and had 0access to any kind of shop. For the most part, the project has been packed and boxed awaiting completion.

I took it upon myself to take another jab at modding full force back in January/Febuary - however my final project took precedent.

Last firday afternoon I grabbed my files, the rough-cut copper parts, and a comfy spot on the couch and spent the day filing.

Since friday, I've spent every day morning-night filing copper... my inexperience with the CNC router cutting process combined with the increased cutting speed I needed to get the parts done in time yielded very very shitty edges. Just about each piece has needed between 5-10hrs+ of filing to get perfect, and even then I'm only just finishing the first pass of filing on most parts.

(In trying to land a gig working at Google they gave me a NexusOne to play with - and being that it's the only camera I have at home at the moment: Pictures presented by Google :))

I'll start with some detail images of the edges left by the CNC router:
It looks like a dog breakfast for now, but thankfully they all clean up REALLY nicely.
prometheuscu-copper-rough-cut-01.jpg

prometheuscu-copper-rough-cut-02.jpg

prometheuscu-copper-rough-cut-03.jpg

prometheuscu-copper-rough-cut-04.jpg

Here I've placed the carbon behind the copper as it will be in the end:
prometheuscu-copper-rough-cut-05.jpg

prometheuscu-copper-rough-cut-06.jpg

prometheuscu-copper-rough-cut-07.jpg

A quick preview of where I'm at with the first pass of filing:
prometheuscu-copper-rough-file-01.jpg

prometheuscu-copper-rough-file-02.jpg

prometheuscu-copper-rough-file-03.jpg

Here's another mock-up with the carbon:
prometheuscu-copper-rough-file-04.jpg

prometheuscu-copper-rough-file-05.jpg

I'm just about finished pass 1 on these parts:
prometheuscu-copper-rough-file-06.jpg

prometheuscu-copper-rough-file-07.jpg

prometheuscu-copper-rough-file-08.jpg

I couldn't leave you without some previews of how the case stands at the moment:
prometheuscu-testfit-1-01.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-02.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-03.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-04.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-05.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-06.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-07.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-08.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-09.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-10.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-11.jpg

prometheuscu-testfit-1-15.jpg

Here's a head-on shot of the drive-bay area showing how the PICO and Pump are to be mounted:
prometheuscu-testfit-1-12.jpg

Note the clearance... of 0:
prometheuscu-testfit-1-13.jpg

The addition of the reservoirs required the pump be oriented differently, which of-course means cutting something:
prometheuscu-testfit-1-14.jpg

Some of you who have been following this project for (how long has it been now?) may recall my former shop and working facilities: PHOTO GALLERY LINK.

Well gone are those days, I'd like to introduce to you my current workshop - from soldering to grinding, drilling to filing this is my home:
prometheuscu-workshop-showcase-01.jpg

prometheuscu-spareparts-showcase-02.jpg

prometheuscu-spareparts-showcase-03.jpg

Here's my view of today's gloomy Vancouver weather - it may rain alot here but the sunny days make it more than worthwhile:
prometheuscu-workshop-showcase-02.jpg

Not being one to shy away from a good pun; I want to share with you the location where PrometheusCU has been living for the past year.

This is the wall above the bed in my bedroom - this project has quite literally been looming over my head for the past 9months. It's the last thing I see at night (on the slow nights anyway ;)) and the first thing I see in the morning. I even had visions of being crushed by faulty Ikea shelving overweighted with copper, which I must admit would have been a pretty good irony.
prometheuscu-spareparts-showcase-04.jpg

Sorry again for making you all wait, but I'm pretty sure that most of you will agree with me when I say it was worth it. :)

That's all I have for you for now.
Life is pretty lax for me now. I am doing a lot of consulting for usability and interaction design projects attempting to harness social media - most of which I do from home. In short: I have lots of time for modding now, and I plan on taking advantage of it.

On the topic of kinky tubes:
This is a quick mock-up, and the tubing will sport stainless steel anti kink coils and a layer of nylon multifilament sleeving over top. In the end that will not be an issue.

Here are some very early mock-ups showing a rough result:
prometheuscu-sleeving-demonstration-01.jpg

prometheuscu-sleeving-demonstration-02.jpg

prometheuscu-sleeving-demonstration-03.jpg

The next update with be accompanied by a number of surprises - thanks for reading.
Tune in soon.

*j