What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Project "Shorty HTPC" UPDATED Aug 28/10

Varroa

Well, I was going to build a HTPC in the bedroom and bought all the parts (including a Nmedia HTPC-1000B, [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASUS M3A78-EM AMD 780G, BE 2300 45 watt CPU, OCZ vertex 30GB, Blueray drive, 2 GB OCZ gold DDRII ram). I am using a OCZ vertex SSD because I am streaming all my content from my WHS so I didn't need much storage AND I am running Windows 7 currently.

When I got the case and measure it, it turns out it was about 4 inchs too deep to fit in the bedroom bookcase. So, I decided to try and reduce the depth of the case. This is my worklog:

The initial case measured 16 inches deep:

[/FONT]case1.jpg

I needed it to measure 12 inches deep. I moved the HDD rack to the 12 inch mark and it looks like everything would still fit.

case4.jpg

Next, I proceeded to dismantile the case:

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

I removed the rivets using a hammer and chisel

case5.jpg

These are the parts I will be using to build the new case (essentially the skeleton):

case6.jpg

I noticed the some of the rivet holes perfectly lined up to make the case only 12 inches deep so I put it back together using rivets.

case7.jpg

I ran into one problem (something that couldn't been seen during the dry run). The front panel header was hitting the fan cage. I cut the fan cage to make it all fit.

case8.jpg

It's a tight fit on the ram but everything just clears the HDD bays.

case9.jpg

Next, I need to make new sides. Off to Homedepot for some Poplar and MDF. All I had to do was cut the wood to match the skeleton and ta-da!

case10.jpg

After realizing that I couldn't cut the holes for the fans, I proceeded to drill holes in the botton front of the base to allow air to enter. Then I finished the sides with a poly stain. The old case sides are behind the case so you can see the difference in depth.

case11.jpg

When I put it all together I realized that the standard DVD drive I used for my dry run was shorter than the Blueray drive and there was JUST enough room to fit the power and a 90 degree sata cable. I actually had to open up the entire frame like a fan to get it all together but it fit.

case12.jpg

case13.jpg

This is actaully as far as I have gotten now. It is hooked up and running. The next step is to figure out a top panel. I may just cut the existing panel but I am scared to damage it. I also didn't take into account the extra length the HDMI and power cord would use to this is now residing downstairs in my home entertainment center. I am using a WD live TV in the bedroom now.

Ignore the ATI 3450 that is in the pictures. It produced too much heat so I removed it. I also added nicer slot covers to increase the air flow.

slot.jpg

When I cut the top panel I will post more photos.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Andy

Pics work fine. Awesome fix for the size issue. I have two of these cases running htpc's and they are small and tight to begin with. I can't wait to see it finished.

H

HaDeS

my question to you is this... If you aren't putting any hdds in there why bother putting that whole thing in there again?

headsh0t

Also in regards to the power cord and HDMI cable not fitting, why not cut a couple holes to fit them through in the back of the book case. Or if the back is open just move it from the wall a bit?

Varroa

my question to you is this... If you aren't putting any hdds in there why bother putting that whole thing in there again?

what hole thing? Do you mean the HDD rack? It supports the Blueray drive and the SSD.

As for cutting the back of my home entertainment center in the bedroom, that wouldn't help because it is butted up against the wall and I can't move it out any.

Latest posts