What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PS3 SLIM - $299 WOOT!!!

Cowboy

So what exactly does the slim version sacrifice from the larger version, in order to be smaller? Like what features does it "lack"?

And would it be worth getting one of these? Any good games already out for it?

MacJunky

They did do a dire shrink apparently so less heat and less cooling required.
I like this more than the original, it looks less flashy. Plastic should never be glossy, that just looks flashy/tacky/cheap.
Also, only the higher end original PS3s had cardslots.. and to be honest I bet few people used them. They might show up on a higher end model later though.

TMan

Can anyone tell me how "noisy" there current PS3 is? I mean does it bug you in quiet scenes during movies or anything like that? Does it sound like a moderate gaming PC or some other refernce you can think of? I have no idea as I have never used a PS3 and would like to know in-case I come across an amazing deal before the Slim launches.

quiet as can be, virtually no noise at all.

I have my 80g PS3 in an A/V cabinet. If I am playing Blu-Ray movies or playing a game and I don't leave the door open to the area where it is located, the fan goes on full blast - it is loud and intrusive.

So what I do is prop open the door with the movie or game case to allow for extra air flow and it usually isn't too bad. However, I have noticed when playing some games, such as COD4, after a while (maybe 30 minutes) the fan starts to blast anyways.

Hopefully, the new slim PS3 truly uses less power, is cooler and, therefore, has significantly less fan noise. One thing I did notice on the slim vs. the fat is that the slim seems to have a lot less vent holes!

TMan

NEWSFLASH: GT5 Coming This Year!!!! WOOT!!!

Gran Turismo 5 Release Date - PS3

1 day be4 my bday....i won't hold my breathe until i see an official release date. ( which i have not seen yet )

Now that game MAG looks aboslutely amazing, BETA is up and i guess she is running very smooth, 256 players in a game.

& yes the PS3 slim is very fugly i prefer my shiny 25 pounder :p

geokilla

You could install Linux into PS3? Like the original Linux Ubuntu or whatever?

As for losing PS2 compatibility, doesn't matter to me. All I'd need is a pair of PS2 component cables and I'd be ready to go.

Latest posts