What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PSP 2 - NGP

headsh0t

Sony's next PSP, codenamed NGP -- Engadget

Betcha didn't think this day would come, but it finally has. Sony has just come clean with its next-generation PlayStation Portable. It's actually codenamed NGP and will revolve around five key concepts: Revolutionary User Interface, Social Connectivity, Location-based Entertainment, Converging Real and Virtual (augmented) Reality. It will be compatible with the PlayStation Suite and is backwards-compatible with downloadable PSP games and content from Sony's PlayStation Store.

Specs include a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor, 5-inch touchscreen OLED display with 960 x 544 resolution, dual analog sticks (not nubs as on the current generation), 3G, WiFi, GPS, a rear-mounted touchpad, the same accelerometer / gyroscope motion sensing as in the PlayStation Move, an electronic compass, and cameras on both the front and back. Available this holiday season. Wait... what?!

Dual analog STICKS, not nubs, and a 5" OLED touchscreen. Mmmmm. Although, I won't be buying it since I don't really have a need for a mobile gaming console. What do you guys think?

Thund3rball

It will be glorious! ... and pricey. Software will make it or break it. The Uncharted demo I saw looked rather fantastic. BUT, the touch and motion controls make me weary. Devs will be forced to incorporate them resulting in gimmike and pointless waggling and finger swiping, ruining good games. :\

headsh0t

It will be glorious! ... and pricey. Software will make it or break it. The Uncharted demo I saw looked rather fantastic. BUT, the touch and motion controls make me weary. Devs will be forced to incorporate them resulting in gimmike and pointless waggling and finger swiping, ruining good games. :\

I don't think they will be FORCED to put them in, I think they were just using the Uncharted engine as a demo for the ability to use the touchpads. I think the touchscreen will make it easier for people developing games for phones to port it over to PS3 - well at least the control part anyways, so that you don't lose the essence of the game. Having both touchpads at the same time could make for some interesting controls though.

chubaka

i prefer the gimmick of 3d...hence I might get the 3ds in march

LarkStarr

the spec sheet is frankly amazing, no doubt.

but we'll see how it plays out in the grand scheme of things. I have a feeling that if they play the integration card right (software as mentioned) this could be quite the device. the 3g would be great with a phoning/txting plan too.

Thund3rball

I don't think they will be FORCED to put them in, I think they were just using the Uncharted engine as a demo for the ability to use the touchpads. I think the touchscreen will make it easier for people developing games for phones to port it over to PS3 - well at least the control part anyways, so that you don't lose the essence of the game. Having both touchpads at the same time could make for some interesting controls though.

Did you just say it will be easier to port games over from a PHONE to the PS3 (I think you mean PSP err NGP) so I can have an immersive and exhilarating experience on my $300 (or whatever it's going to be) dedicated mobile gaming hardware with Angry Birds? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :doh:

Yes I understand they won't be forced to make motion controls... but they will nonetheless. They will show horn them in there. That I can pretty much guarantee.

Ryoohki

Meh, release a Ps4 already so our graphics can move on and oh no more Unreal Engine 3 games.. LOL! (lack of AA natively)