What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PSU and MoBo suggestions for new build

thorn

It has been quite a while since I last built a system and I haven't really been keeping up with the PC world as much as I used to. However my system is starting to get a little long in the tooth (i5 760 with a Radeon HD 6870) and I am considering moving up to 1440p from 1920x1200.

I'll be keeping the case (HWC Corsair 800D), storage (Samsung 850 pro 128gb, WD Black 2TB, trusty Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB though I will be looking to replace it) and the water cooling "system".

Right now I am looking at the following Intel Core i5-6600K, MSI Radeon R9 390 - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

• CPU: Intel i5 6600K
  • Mobo: need some help here - I currently looking at the MSI Z170A GAMING M5 but I am open to suggestions. I was hoping to keep it under $200, but willing to go to $250
  • Memory: I am just going to grab the least expensive 2x8GB kit of DDR4-2400
  • Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8G
  • PSU: What sort of wattage should I be looking at? Is 750 enough or should I go to 850? I will overclock the CPU but aside from that I don't foresee any other overclocking. I do currently have a Mushkin Joule 1000W PSU in my current system (in use for 5 years); so I suppose there is always the option of reusing it.

So what are your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to look.

Helios79

I would like to add the following notes:

I wouldn't go with the cheapest memory that you can find. Follow the 'Qualified Vendors List' for RAM manufacturers to the 'T' if you can. Not all motherboards play nicely with various RAM modules. The MSI motherboard you chosen is a good pick, and I can't see recommending anything else other than Gigabyte's GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 or the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming. ASRock's Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 looks good as well, but some may have a bias against them or the Fatal1ty branding. You'll need a heatsink for Skylake's unlocked CPU's as they do not come with one.

A 750W gold-rated power supply will work for this build. My ex-roomie recently build a new system with a 6600, 390, SSD + mechnical hard drive, and threw in an eVGA SuperNova G2 750W as per my recommendation. I haven't heard a complaint from him since the build was finished. Just my thoughts.

thorn

Thanks for the tips Helios79.

The CPU cooler is taken care of by the water cooling loop (EK Supreme HF water block + 420mm rad + Laing DDC 3.1 w/ EK-XTOP).

Good point about the RAM compatibility, I've never had an issue before but better safe than sorry. As for the PSU I figured a good gold rated 750W would do but I usually pick more mid-range options in CPU and GPU.

Dzzope

That build will run on 450W - 500W of a good PSU..
If you'll go for a second GPU then a good 750W or 850W is needed..
The EVGA G2's are good psu's but so are the B2's (bronze efficiency but rock solid.. efficiency isn't that important to your bills and has nout to do with how it will treat your rig)

That Mushkin is a solid unit though reviews had them not very good on efficiency (talking benchmark stuff not real world) but very good on voltage regulation and ripple.

PSU won't last you forever so if your doing a whole new build anyway then I'd say get something very good at reasonable cost and keep the old rig together to re-use or sell.

Id go something like this myself.. Intel Core i5-6600K, Sapphire Radeon R9 390X - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
That build will run on 450W - 500W of a good PSU..
If you'll go for a second GPU then a good 750W or 850W is needed..
The EVGA G2's are good psu's but so are the B2's (bronze efficiency but rock solid.. efficiency isn't that important to your bills and has nout to do with how it will treat your rig)

That Mushkin is a solid unit though reviews had them not very good on efficiency (talking benchmark stuff not real world) but very good on voltage regulation and ripple.

PSU won't last you forever so if your doing a whole new build anyway then I'd say get something very good at reasonable cost and keep the old rig together to re-use or sell.

Id go something like this myself.. Intel Core i5-6600K, Sapphire Radeon R9 390X - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

I would split the middle and opt for a 650W G2 unit from EVGA. They have had some really good sales on them, and are more than worth their money.

-ST

thorn

I would split the middle and opt for a 650W G2 unit from EVGA. They have had some really good sales on them, and are more than worth their money.

-ST

I don't foresee myself getting a second card. I always plan for it and never end up doing it. If anything I would just get a new card.

Thanks a lot for the help guys

Soultribunal

Staff member
I don't foresee myself getting a second card. I always plan for it and never end up doing it. If anything I would just get a new card.

Thanks a lot for the help guys

Fair enough, I have seen the 650 on some good sales though that made it almost same price as a smaller unit.

For me, I always like to run at or around 50-75% capacity maximum as that is the highest on effiency curve for most PSUs,

-ST

thorn

Fair enough, I have seen the 650 on some good sales though that made it almost same price as a smaller unit.

For me, I always like to run at or around 50-75% capacity maximum as that is the highest on effiency curve for most PSUs,

-ST

I was agreeing with you: that a 650 would probably be the right choice since I didn't plan on going crossfire. Re-reading what I wrote that was not clear.

Dzzope

-ST

Of course if you can get a unit thats as good as the G2 for a little more than the B2 then yea, go for it..

As for 2 cards... If they were a bit more efficient like a pair of 970's or 980's then a 650W would be ok too.. especially one as good as the G2.

I mean, really, apart from a stress test on everything, it won't come close to the max draw you'll need anyway.

Latest posts