What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PSU For My Phenom II Rig? Replacing OCZ GameXStream 600

geokilla

I'm looking for a PSU that can effectively power my current Phenom II rig. I was going to continue to use this Antec Earthwatts 500 till December where I initially planned to build a new rig during Christmas, but it seems that won't be happening thanks to Bulldozer not really competing, and the fact that there are some personal family financial considerations. I know Corsair makes the best stuff, but they are also the most expensive. You pay for what you get, yes, but my OCZ GameXStream 600W was just excellent for I think 5 years before it decided to die on me. I don't want to spend more than $100 and prefer it to be modular, but that means I'll be going with an OCZ PSU. And OCZ PSUs are frowned upon by the enthusiast community so, what should I get?

Reason for this planning to do PSU replacement is because I just don't feel comfortable with this Earthwatts 500W, as my CPU and GPU temps are up by 10C due to the smaller fan, and the PSU probably working harder due to its lower efficiency. It may be able to power my rig in the short term, but long-term, I'm not so sure.

Stock

How about a XFX 450W Core Edition?

Jonnyguru review here. With MIR, it's around $35 on NCIX.

ilya

Phaedrus2129

Corsair isn't always the best of the best, and the ongoing myth that they always are irks me.

Try looking at the Antec NeoECO lineup. They're generally very well priced and are excellent performers, based on the SeaSonic S12II Bronze platform. SeaSonic recently hiked prices to their retail partners, so Antec may be discontinuing these models. Grab them while they're still available.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Corsair isn't always the best of the best, and the ongoing myth that they always are irks me.

Try looking at the Antec NeoECO lineup. They're generally very well priced and are excellent performers, based on the SeaSonic S12II Bronze platform. SeaSonic recently hiked prices to their retail partners, so Antec may be discontinuing these models. Grab them while they're still available.

Ironically you would recommend a Seasonic platform when 50% + of what Corsair uses is Seasonic...

Corsair is touted as the best of the best because of the OEM platforms they choose to brand their PSU's with. CWT's and Seasonics top performers are good reason they have the following they do.

They are not the only one I reccomend however, as I love Antec and there Delta units. Silverstone when they use good Enhance units.

Mind you Corsair and Seasonic have some good competition comming in the form of Superflower. NewEggs newest units use that OEM and it shows. AS well as Kingwin. So Corsair might be fighting for top spot soon enough.

Now, onto Geo.
If you want to get one of the newer OCZ power units go for it. The Z series is pretty good now that they have refined the platform they are using.

Though with $100 budget its gonna be tight you could get this while its on sale:

NCIX.com - Buy Antec High Current Gamer 620W 48A 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 135mm Fan - Antec - HCG-620 - in Canada

The HCG series from Antec are solid, or a Silvestone STrider Plus 500 (though I think that one is Topower and not Enhance, i.e. not as good).

My thoughts,

ST

geokilla

Hopefully I'm going to get the Corsair AX750 for $100. Chris went to pick it up today. If it doesn't work, then I'll get something else.

Is there any problems with running the Earthwatts 500W in the long-term though?

Soultribunal

Staff member
Hopefully I'm going to get the Corsair AX750 for $100. Chris went to pick it up today. If it doesn't work, then I'll get something else.

Nope, I haven't heard anything bad about the Earthwatts.
Hopefully you get that smoking deal on the AX750.

-ST

MARSTG

Nope, i still regret I sold mine. Rock solid. Quad core Deneb and 460GTX were hold together by my Earth Watts 380 so I guess the 500 still has even more juice. no issue there. You can also look at the XFX core edition ones. Pretty good MIR at newegg.ca or no MIR and lower priced at directcanada.com. Seasonic as OEM.

Latest posts