What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

psu question

masterboxbuilder

So I am building a new rig this holiday season. Basically going with all new hardware throughout. I am purchasing a i7-7820x, MSI x299 mobo and a 780ti 32gb ram plus all the other goodies required for the build.

My question is about the PSU. I have a thermaltake 1200w power supply that I purchased years ago for a tri SLI 8800 ultra build that has been transferred through a couple systems since that time long ago. The past few years it has been running a 2600k oc'd to 4.5ghz and a lone 780ti. Should I reuse it or stop being so cheap and pony up for a new PSU? It makes no noise and has never had any issues. Thoughts?

KaptCrunch

if Toughpower 1200W no need to Schell out unless the extra goodies surpasses 1200 watts

Bond007

Will it run it, yes. Will it have issues...probably not. But as with any PSU, they deteriorate with age, and it sounds like this psu is older. They can fail gracefully, or they can die and take other components out with it.

I had a very similar question a few years ago. In the end it’s your call how long you want to keep a psu for and no one else can change the fact it’s your money and parts. As time goes on the risk very slowly goes up. Your call on when you want to swap to a new psu. It’s not an answer to your question, but I think it’s reality...anything else is opinion.

Mr. Friendly

hey Master...if you have a voltmeter, why not check out it's rails when you run it under load. if they're stable and report what they should (3.3v, 5.0v and 12.0v) then you're likely good. :)

Latest posts

Twitter