What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PSU requirement

clshades

Can confirm. My Corsair RM650i doesn't have the 2nd 8-pin CPU power cable that can be connected to my motherboard. Because I'm running a relatively low power R5 processor, it's not a problem, and I don't need it, but if I had one of the higher SKU's, I'd probably want it.
Yes that's what it was. Secondary 12v for the cpu/mobo. I've been on the same 850w PSU (EVGA G2?) -legendary, for the last 8 years. I was way over budget 8 years ago but it's proven useful now that I'm running a 3080.

Lysrin

I've bought fully modular the last several power supplies, and I still like them, little less cabling to fit in the system when initially putting the power supply in and routing cables. But then I realised that the cables that aren't modular are the cables you are going to need in the system anyway. Semi-modular is a good option if you want to save a few dollars and won't look any different in the resulting system build, visually I mean.

I have an EVGA in my current system, as in my signature, older than the G6, but I have been very pleased with it.

EDIT: Sheesh! Clicked the G6 link. That is a good sale.

great_big_abyss

Yes that's what it was. Secondary 12v for the cpu/mobo. I've been on the same 850w PSU (EVGA G2?) -legendary, for the last 8 years. I was way over budget 8 years ago but it's proven useful now that I'm running a 3080.

Oh, I think my 650 could run a 3080. I've got two extra PCI-E 8-pin cables that I can plug in.

It's the big, power hungry, Overlclocked CPU that I'd have problems with. If I ever upgrade to a 5900X or 5950X, I'll need to replace my PSU for sure, just to get that 2nd 8-pin CPU power cable.