What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PSU swap same brand same wattage

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Hi all getting evga 1600w P2 to replace my Evga 1600w G2 do I need to change the cables? Or can I just swap them out?

Entz

Unless you can be 100% sure the pinouts are the same, I would swap the cables.

I let the smoke out of a SSD once using the wrong cables for a PSU (same manufacturer, different pin out)

lowfat

Staff member
You should be able to find the pinouts of each PSU online via Google likely. I know there use to be a repository on OCN.

Bond007

Also, not sure about those specific PSU, some have in line capacitors etc...it is possible one of those may have it and one not. More than likely it is all the same, but no guarantee without looking into it.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
I'm upgrading to the Platinum model of the same PSU was. Hoping I could. Just slot it in but like you said maybe the Platinum has newer Bette components. Like inline capacitors.

Last edited:

Bond007

Out of curiosity, why are you changing the power supply?

Secondly, I just found a review of the p2 1600 on tomshardware. The conclusion has this statement that makes me think the cables should be identical:

“ The EVGA 1600 P2 comes with a 10-year warranty and is compatible with the G2/P2 Power Supply Cable kit (individually sleeved cables), which features high-quality sleeving.”

Izerous

Folding Team
Gold to platinum efficiency gain is so small you will never make the ROI of the unit. Depending on how much power you draw you can actually make better efficiency gains by going down in total power due to how the efficiency curves are. My 1200W doesn't go much over about 45% under a stress test let alone typical browsing or gaming.

I'd be better served by something in the 650W range now as an example.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
got the P2 for a crazy price {$175 shipped} i can put this G2 in next system the Sage board with this i9 7980xe. once get ahold of a 10980xe,

Last edited: