What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Push/Pull Fan configuration

stlouis1

This is more for curiosity at the moment, but I'm just wondering, for those here with watercooling setups and push/pull configurations on each side of the rad. is there any value in controlling the fan speed on each side separately? I'm thinking the pull side doesn't need to pull as much necessarily, and having 3 fans at slower speed would cut down noise no?

JD

Staff member
Slowing only 1 side...I'm not seeing how it would help with noise? If the fans are 30dBA, slowing 3 of them to 20dBA isn't going to make any difference as you'll still be hearing 30dBA of noise?

sswilson

Staff member
At one point I might have thought this would make a difference, but modern rads are nowhere near as restrictive as early ones were so I can't see it making a big enough difference to worry about.

stlouis1

so if you're running 2x360mm rads, just slap one of these on each rad then and you've got enough ports for 6 fans each, and a couple spare ports and each rad can go to it's own mobo header

clshades

You would change the pitch of the sound on the fans going slower and it should reduce the noise. I have read people having limited success with this.

KaptCrunch

Yes go slower for fan becomes a siren when overspeed due to fan is cutting the air.

If want the most out of cooling have fresh air feed the rad not recycled case air

Bond007

It may make some difference, but I think you would be better off slowing them all a little, than leaving some fast and some (relatively) slow. The single loudest fan is going to be what you hear the most.

stlouis1

Well, reason I was asking, is I'm having some custom PCB's printed to make PWM fan hubs. I was looking around at fan hubs and I wasn't liking the options. For the most part, there's 4 way hubs that are powered off the motherboard, but those ports only put out so much power, though some newer mobo's have some dedicated ports that put out more from what I've seen. But either way, looking at powered hubs, they're mostly 8/10 way splitters which leaves me with a bunch of unused ports on multiple hubs.

So what I've done is designed an 8 port PWM hub, pretty simple, but I put 2 connectors for PWM signal from the mobo on it, and put a jumper so I can switch between 1x8, or 2x4 configuration. I don't think I'm going to do push pull in my setup, and probably just stick to a push configuration, but I like having more control over my fans, so this will let me control the fans on each rad separately with a single hub.

I'm still waiting for the PCB's to arrive from China, but I should have the rest of the components next week to solder on and will have enough to make at 5 of them for start and see how it works out.

rjbarker

Just invest in a decent Fan Controller ...stay away from Fan Headers on the mobo entirely....I like being able to manually control my 17 fans...no software....good 4 or 6 channel Fan Controller...split em up into groups.....