What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

putting lipstick on a pig - Minecraft with Ray Tracing

Soultribunal

Staff member
Not lipstick on a pig, really bad analogy.

Its not making it lifelike they are adding in ambience of real lighting. And honestly, it looks beautiful.

-ST

FreeKnight

I'm with soul on this one. The block 'aesthetic' of minecraft is essential to its identity. What they're doing is letting lighting now really help shape and be able to modify that identity to something that's undeniably more visually impressive but still 'looks' like minecraft. I think it's a substantial improvement especially since the lighting in minecraft was always pretty ho-hum.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I honestly do not believe it does, and I am truly a Minecraft Purest (or I would like to believe I am).

I think this will make it look absolutely beautiful.

-ST

Bond007

I think it is great as well. They aren’t getting ride of the blocks and building, just making it look like those blocks are in a more realistic world.

it just needs to be implemented for non-rtx cards. I am sure any reasonable GPU Could process it, even inefficiently, and still have more than playable fps (given how completely undemanding it currently is).

Lysrin

We're beating up on you here Friendly, but I have to agree that this does add a nice addition to Minecraft. Many hours lost building in Minecraft and conquering the Ender Dragon with friends, so improved lighting in those environments would be pretty cool.

I think this sort of overall lighting improvement in a game it more important to me than things like how fire is reflected in a puddle or a room's contents on glass. The before and after shots in that article show the whole world looking improved and atmospheric. That is something I could actually notice. Also in a building game like Minecraft, being able to put a window in a specific spot and have the light stream in to get the effect you want? ...Priceless :)

Soultribunal

Staff member
We're beating up on you here Friendly, but I have to agree that this does add a nice addition to Minecraft. Many hours lost building in Minecraft and conquering the Ender Dragon with friends, so improved lighting in those environments would be pretty cool.

I think this sort of overall lighting improvement in a game it more important to me than things like how fire is reflected in a puddle or a room's contents on glass. The before and after shots in that article show the whole world looking improved and atmospheric. That is something I could actually notice. Also in a building game like Minecraft, being able to put a window in a specific spot and have the light stream in to get the effect you want? ...Priceless :)

This. 100%. That type of ability to create a 'mood' in a building that you just spent countless hours to make is worth it.

-ST

Latest posts