What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Q6600 or.... Phenom II 940?

Saibot

Im planning a new build for my dad for fathers day... hes a professional photographer and videographer so he's gona probably need 4 cores running @ near 4.0 ghz...

So here i sit uselessly trying to decide whether to go with a Q6600 or a Phenom II 940...

From what i see, here are my two options.. i already have a PSU, ram and an 8800 GTS waiting to be installed:

The Intel Route:
CPU: Q6600... can pick one up for ~$150
Mobo: some P45 chipset... can pick one up for ~$120

The AMD Route:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940... can pick one up for ~$220
Mobo: Some 780g/a chipset... can pick one up for ~$90

The AMD Route is more expensive (wow.. how did that happen lol), but the difference doesnt really matter that much to me. I'm just wondering which one would probably give me better performance... keep in mind i will be AGRESSIVELY overclocking regardless of which route i decide to take. With both processors, i know i can probably hit ~3.8 to 4.0 ghz...(im buying a used q6600 thats hit 4.0 rock stable on air before) but which one would out-perform the other?

Silvgearx

its no brainer, go for the AMD PII 940. It has a higher chance of hitting 4ghz compared to the Q6600. But then again you need a better motherboard to overclock the AMD cpu

rapmaster

the 790X-UD4P is one of the best budget board for Phenom II, if you want to spend less, than get the 770-UD3.

jcmaz

u could use the AMD 720BE (to save $$$) and try to unlock it w/ a mobo that is capable of doing so. Then OC the crap out of it.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I second this. The Q9550 smokes any phenom II or the Q6600 (I have a Q9550 and Q6600). An Asrocks P43 board would be a solid choice, if you're willing to look at other alternatives, they are around $100

Cheers,
"Smokes" is an exaggeration, unless you can find a benchmark where it clearly beats the PhII in every category. True, the Q9550 is still faster, but not by that much, and can be more difficult to OC, depending on which stepping you get.

Latest posts

Twitter