What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Q6600 still viable?

rjbarker

^^^ Maybe he enjoys "tinkering" and $200 is no big deal?!

Personally I love tinkering with my Rigs....I may just pull my E8400 and throw in a Q9650.....not expecting any big improvements, but I'm bored, like to "tinker".....like excuses to rip my Rigs apart....and a few hundred bucks ain't gnna break the bank....:punk:

I'd throw an SSD in my 2nd Rig but have read nothing but "headaches" with an SSD and an nVidia Chipset...:doh:

Sorry for going off topic!

Fudd Rucker

Is there something wrong with my machine? When i played BFBC2 it chugged on my system when i cranked it up to 1900 x 1200 max everything. I cant see an e8400 + 5850 doing better in gaming then an i7 @ 4.2ghz + 5870.

Raserei408

^^^ Maybe he enjoys "tinkering" and $200 is no big deal?!

Personally I love tinkering with my Rigs....I may just pull my E8400 and throw in a Q9650.....not expecting any big improvements, but I'm bored, like to "tinker".....like excuses to rip my Rigs apart....and a few hundred bucks ain't gnna break the bank....:punk:

I'd throw an SSD in my 2nd Rig but have read nothing but "headaches" with an SSD and an nVidia Chipset...:doh:

Sorry for going off topic!
The way I see it, even if you enjoy "tinkering," you're better off waiting until you can "tinker" with a whole new platform. It's a lot more fun to build a whole new system rather than just replacing a CPU.

Also, while $200 may not be a big deal to you, it is a big deal to some people. Regardless, IMO there's no good reason to blow a couple-hundred bucks that can be put to better use.

zc1

IMO there's no good reason to blow a couple-hundred bucks that can be put to better use.
In theory, all of the money we spend on mods and upgrades could be put to "better" use. It just depends on what your priorities/values are. Your idea of better use isn't necessarily shared by the OP.

I think the point that rjbarker was making is that maybe the OP has the money to "play" and wouldn't blink at spending a few hundred on older tech just to see how well he can make it work. It's quite possible that he has the cash to upgrade straight to a 1366 but would just rather play around with more 775s. I didn't get the impression, from the OP, that that was the case, but you never know.

I'm in that boat. It was fun getting my Q6600 system to where it is, but I've been contemplating a Q9550 or Q9650 just for the fun of trying to get it up to/past 4.0. I don't *need* it, but it'd be fun to play around with, and would be a quicker procedure than swapping out my mobo, processor and RAM (and possibly re-installing my OS). It's just fun to play around.

To me, it's just like riding a slow motorcycle at 90% of its capacity rather than a fast one at 25% of its capacity; there's a lot of fun to be had in riding the wheels off of that slow bike (including all the modding that you can do to make it faster). Might not be the best analogy, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Chere

Q6600 will for sure last another year or two. But with the price of used chips right now, its nice to have a change for very small amount invested. Always learn something new when OCing a new chip.

CaptCanada

I think I may just upgrade to a Q8300 for $159.99 from NCIX. I think that would be a better investment than the Q6600.

tri5cui7

I gave my parents an old AMD 3200+, that thing still runs strong for applications like internet browsing, office stuff. It runs a little slow for my tastes but great for them. I think that's a testament to a good processor and I believe that the q6600 will go down as one of the greats. I have mine running at 3.2 and I've had it as high as 3.5, unfortunately i couldn't go any higher. when I finally make the upgrade to the 1356 platform my current desk top will become my work desktop, I'm looking forward to it. I think for general applications the q6600 still has a lot of life left, for gaming perhaps a little less. it really depends on the end user, and what makes them happy graphically.

Raserei408

In theory, all of the money we spend on mods and upgrades could be put to "better" use. It just depends on what your priorities/values are. Your idea of better use isn't necessarily shared by the OP.

I think the point that rjbarker was making is that maybe the OP has the money to "play" and wouldn't blink at spending a few hundred on older tech just to see how well he can make it work. It's quite possible that he has the cash to upgrade straight to a 1366 but would just rather play around with more 775s. I didn't get the impression, from the OP, that that was the case, but you never know.

I'm in that boat. It was fun getting my Q6600 system to where it is, but I've been contemplating a Q9550 or Q9650 just for the fun of trying to get it up to/past 4.0. I don't *need* it, but it'd be fun to play around with, and would be a quicker procedure than swapping out my mobo, processor and RAM (and possibly re-installing my OS). It's just fun to play around.

To me, it's just like riding a slow motorcycle at 90% of its capacity rather than a fast one at 25% of its capacity; there's a lot of fun to be had in riding the wheels off of that slow bike (including all the modding that you can do to make it faster). Might not be the best analogy, but you get the idea.
All I'm saying is that if he's more-than-willing to drop a few hundred bucks on upgrades, he may as well go for a whole new setup rather than perpetuating an outdated and inferior one.

rjbarker

All I'm saying is that if he's more-than-willing to drop a few hundred bucks on upgrades, he may as well go for a whole new setup rather than perpetuating an outdated and inferior one.
Razer....your blind to the point we're making.....

Your point is taken, just remember, this is an "Enthiusiast Forum".....sure its fun to build a new Rig, but, if you already have a 1366 Platofrm, no point in building another.....but spending a few hundred bucks installing a new CPU, OC'ing it...running Benches is satisfying to many....just cause 775 is old tech doesn't mean its "dead".....

Some of us here are beyond "teenagers" (uh....line our 40's )actually have steady incomes and are "Hobbies / Enthusiasts" ........
^^ That is my point n thanks! Hell,,I'd get just as excited and have as much satisfaction swapping out my 775 CPU's as apposed to a new build......then see how far I can push the new CPU.

Back to the OP...is swapping out a Q6600 viable for a E8400 or Q9560...depends what your "budget" is.....if a few hundred bucks is no biggie...go for it, just don't expect any large gains in game, just Benches......obviously if money is tight, building a new 1155 / 1366 platform is out of the question.....

divertiti

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not entirely clear how going from Q6600 to a E8600 would be an upgrade, especially when games are more and more multithreaded and made for more than 2 cores.

I'm thinking it may be worth it if I can find a Q9550 that does over 4ghz on air and drop it in my p5k

Latest posts

Twitter