What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Q6600 still viable?

Mr. Gruntsworthy

I myself am running an E8400 with 4GB of RAM, an HD 4850, and a 32 bit version of Vista Home Basic. I have no need to upgrade as it runs everything I do without complaints. However, that doesn't mean I don't WANT to upgrade. 980X... <3

fyshawk

I still love my Q6600 but I also just invested in a AMD rig mind you have some issues with it at the moment of random reboots but will figure it out only reason i got AMD is I never had one before and alot of my friends run AMD right now running onboard video to iron things out but yeah the Q6600 will be around for a bit longer

CaptCanada

Well, I am thinking of building my first AMD rig in a number of years, mainly because it will provide me with a much cheaper route to hexcore processing power than Intel's solution. have had a good experience with AMD and have not reservations going back to them.

Snarl

I game quite heavily with my Q6600 at 3.03Ghz and 512MB 4870, have yet to encounter a problem with any game and I like a smooth framerate, possibly the best CPU I`ve ever had.

Wurmer

^^^ Iwouldn't hold your breath and any big price drops, even with the new release of I9......have a look at the price of the "old" Q9550" oe E8400....I paid $229 for my E8400 3 yrs ago...think its now around $190....thats a reduction of $40 in 3 yrs.......
You could be waiting a very long time for the I7's to drop in price.

I agree here, mid high end and high end CPU rarely benefit from huge price drop, look at the E8600 and Q9650 and even the E8500. It's almost like they rather pull them off market instead of selling them with a reduced price.

python134r

Kentsfield Quads still viable?...ummm yes....

I would not upgrade your Q6600 as of yet. I am running a X3210 @3.5GHz and still running all the new games with no issues .
Wait till the i5 or i7 come down in price before the upgrade.

My 2 cents a day late and a dollar short, I also am running a X3210@3.6 on a P5K Premium, 4gb Gskill, 2 x 640 WD Black Raid0 and a HD4890 1gb vapor x and a PC power 850SSI turbo P/S and run everything well and pretty quick. I have the upgrade bug but have a hard time justifying it with the current performance of this rig.
Eventually, I do want to do a new build, 2500K, mobo when they are rereleased, DDR3 and mebbe water-cooling, I will wait till platform matures a bit and price does too.....:ph34r:

Ernimus Prime

I also have a E8400. But moving to a quad core would be an improvement. So, I am going to upgrade really soon. Already have 8 gig ddr3 1600 in my hands. Just waiting for ne B3 SB MoBo to become availble.

enaberif

q9550 would be better than a q6600 but a quad core that can get a decent mhz is still going to be plenty fast for todays standards.

MegaBUD

Depend at what resolution you are gaming... if its under 1680... maybe you could get a little more fps...

Q6600 is still a great processor... videocard have a much higher impact on games.

Latest posts