What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Q6600 still viable?

dma0991

It won't be longer unless it is not of reference PCB and reference cooler. What you see in the picture is just the reference card which will be the same from one manufacturer to another. The only difference is the decal over the card.

Anyway you could just go to the manufacturers website and check anyways for non reference coolers. If it is of the same length then very likely it will fit.

enaberif

I'd say there is a performance advantage of DDR3 compared to DDR2 but for an average user who are not overclocking and benchmarking looking for the golden number it does not bring about a huge performance difference like say changing from a low end GC to a high end GC or a low end CPU to a high end CPU.

Besides it is physically impossible to fit a DDR3 RAM into a DDR2 slot because they have a notch at the bottom and it will prevent from accidentally fitting it the wrong way or a wrong RAM module. You currently have 8GB of RAM which is more than enough. For the average user, more RAM is more important than faster RAM.

Benchmarks there is a difference but in day to day stuff.. You won't see THAT much improvement.

tri5cui7

Should be able to get it next Sunday maybe:clap:

Anyway I was looking more into the 6970 and the Antec 300 case and found this...

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

This guy managed to fit the 6970 in but wow it's a tight squeeze. Do the different make of cards have different sizes? Like can the Sapphire make of the card be slighty smaller or bigger then this?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you could get the 6950 and flash the 6970 bios to it. I believe that the 6950 is slightly smaller. I've got a 5850 in my antec 300 and there's lots of space in it.

Spacedeck

Spacedeck, because your mentioning BF3 the gtx570 might be a better choice, BFBC2 favors nvidia cards. Another reason for the gtx570 is overclocking it brings it closer to and or better than gtx580.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/38626-nvidia-geforce-gtx-570-review-21.html

Ah right but if i went for that would i need a more powerful PSU?

Also how would it fare with the 580/480?

The 480 seems to have same specs but more memory?

Could my set up run a single GTX580 card? And if not what do you think the highest card i could go was?

Last edited:

upcoast604

The price diff between gtx570 vs 580 just isn't worth the extra $.

If the vx 650 is the same quality as the TX650 then ya it's good to go.

The gtx480 runs hotter and sucks more power I would steer away from it.

So you have some idea of relevence, gtx280 is about 2x better than a 9800gtx+ and 1 gtx570 is about equal to 2x gtx285s in sli.

Hope that helps.

It's really a toss up between the 6970 or 570. I'm leaning to the 570 for myself when the prices drop at some point.

Last edited:

Spacedeck

So you have some idea of relevence, gtx280 is about 2x better than a 9800gtx+ and 1 gtx570 is about equal to 2x gtx285s in sli.

Hope that helps.

It's really a toss up between the 6970 or 570. I'm leaning to the 570 for myself when the prices drop at some point.

:shok:Ok I'm going for the 570 when i buy one but when I try find stats I never get what I want. Will it fit in the Antec 300 case better then the 6970? i.e more room? (think this was answered prevoisly but can't find it).

Also would I need to upgrade my PSU with it only being 650W?

I want to be ready for BF3:clap:

PS The GTX570 says PCI Exspress 2.0... what does this mean?

Last edited:

Spacedeck

Ah right but it's not nessasary for me to update the Mobo?

If anyone coulf confirm the size of the 570 that would be great.

So going by all this even though I'm not on DDR3 RAM and anything above i5's or a recent motherboard... If I just updated the graphics card iit should still give better performance? I'm really looking forward to this.

upcoast604

GeForce GTX 570

10 1/2 inches.

DDR2 vs DDR3 no big diff and if you take into account speed and timings for instance ddr2 1066mhz at cl5 5 5 15 21 1T vs ddr3 1333mhz cl9 9 9 25 34 1T they're pretty much equal.

The mobo and cpu is what you have plus you've got 8GB of ddr2 ram so the vid card will be fine, yes the cpu will bottleneck the 570 but not that bad, compared to the 9800gtx+ the 570 will be a huge improvment.

I had a 9800gtx+ before the gtx280 and in the games you listed the 9800gtx was horrible with 4aa/8af at 1680x1050 MOH Airborne and COD Modern warfare are two examples.

You could save a few bucks and drop to a gtx560ti(still a very strong card over the 9800gtx) or a 6950, just a thought.

Last edited:

Latest posts