What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

QNAP Virtual Machine Issues

Skippman

I have my QNAP TS-451+ connected to a Dell PowerConnect 5548 switch using Port Trunking (802.3ad). I have it assigned the IP of 10.0.0.201. The Dell PowerConnect is connected to my Netgear Nighthawk AX8 router via Port Trunking (802.3ad). I'm able to access the NAS remotely, and all NAS functionality on the internet works correctly.

I've installed Ubuntu 16.04 as a container through the Container Station. When I configure this in NAT mode it works fine, but assigns my Ubuntu instance an IP in the 10.0.3.xxx range. I can ping, I can resolve DNS, everything works as expected.

If I set it to bridge mode and assign it an unused IP on the same scope as the NAS itself (10.0.0.2) and set the gateway to the routers IP (10.0.0.1) I cannot ping or resolve DNS. Is this a byproduct of having the Ethernet ports in Trunking Mode? Do I need to set up some kind of bond0 on the Ubuntu disto?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
subbed i just got my hands on a TS-469 Pro wanted to do same i added extra 2 gb of ram to mine as well.

Entz

Shouldn't need to change anything on the Ubuntu VM. VMs are not supposed to care one way or another, they get a virtual wire connect to whatever the host gives them.

I am not familiar with QNAP but it sounds like something is messed up in the bridge config. Like its not using the Bond interface in the bridge but is instead using one of the slaves which it wont be able to access. Can you configure the network interface for the vSwitch?

JD

Staff member
It sounds to me like the virtual switch used for bridging isn't mapped to your LAG or perhaps not even created.

You might want to check your subnetting too for any overlaps. I believe QNAP creates 2 default virtual switches as well in the 10.x range.

Also, is this a Docker image of Ubuntu? The Docker config on QNAP's is a bit temperamental when I tried a few months ago with some images. You might be better off SSH'ing and interacting with Docker directly instead of through the QNAP GUI.

Depending what you're trying to do, there might be a pre-packaged Docker image of the app you're planning to run as well. Those are a lot less resource heavy and might work better too.

Skippman

I'm trying to set up Pi-Hole. The directions I've found online on QNAPs forum indicated that I needed to set up a Ubuntu 16.04 Docker image and use that as the basis of the build. On my way out the door to work this morning I did see there is a Docker image for Pi-Hole and I haven't had a chance to investigate that.

I think you all are likely onto something with the Virtual Switch configuration as I didn't set that up at all and was assuming that the NAS would handle that when it built the VM. I'll look into that tonight when I get home.

JD

Staff member
Definitely use the Pi-Hole Docker image, it'll be far more lightweight. I had ran it a while ago but have since reset my QNAP config as I wanted to move away from static volumes. I know I had bridging working with my LAG but I believe I had to change some of the virtual switch config around.

I wasn't entirely happy with the performance though, so instead I run a Debian VM on my Hyper-V server that runs Pi-Hole.

Skippman

Well, some interesting developments. I deleted all of the virtual switches in the NAS, tore down the port trunking, and started from scratch. I re-enabled the LACP trunk, but now when I tell my switch to add the two ports to a LACP pool I loose connectivity. If I leave them as normal ports, everything works fine and it shows I'm in full 802.3ad LACP trunk mode on the NAS. So I'm just going to leave that alone for right now.

I created a new virtual switch on the NAS, told it to use the LACP pool, and blamo, now it works. I can get to the Pi-Hole GUI. I can use it as my DNS. Just a really weird chain of events.