What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Question about installing Arctic 360 ii AIO

wade7575

I read the manual for my motherboard and it is not making sense to me,I have an ASUS Prime Z390-P Mobo.

What's not making sense to me is that it say exactly in the manual (The CPU_FAN connector Supports a CPU fan of maximum 1A or (12 W) fan power

There is another line right below the last line I just quoted and it say's this exactly,(Connect the fan of your water cooling kit to the AIO_PUMP connector)

I'm wanting to run the radiator fans separately from the pump because I understand that the pump and fans speeds will be different.

What I was wondering should I plug the 3 fans into the CPU_Fan Connector because it has 1 amp output,or into the AIO connector.

I know they worded stuff this way assuming that most people would run the pump and 3 fans threw the AIO connector,but at the same time the way they word it doesn't make sense because if the AIO has less then 1 amp why would they want you to plug in 3 fans plus a a pump into that connector.

I seen a video that shows you need an a PWM single extension cable which I'm getting with my AIO and you just unplug the fan closest to the hose's and connect the extension cable directly to that fan to run the fans separately.

The reason I'm wanting to run the fans separately from the pump is because I know that the fans will most likely run at a different speed from the pump and for PWM and fan speed control it makes more sense to me to run the fans separately.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Dwayne

I have an NZXT 360 AIO. I plugged the AIO Pump into a header that specifically mentions AIO Pumps, and then I used a 3 to 1 connector provided to plug the 3 fans into a single 1A CPU_ Fan header. I set the fans themselves up in BIOS and I used NZXT Cam software (I know, I don't like it much either) to control the pump speed and RGB.

This seems to work for me. From what I could see your motherboard has 2 headers at the top of the board with CPU_Fan label and AIO Pump label, so I would just use those.

"P12 PWM fan has 0.96 W/0.08 A" So 3 fans would draw .24A.

Hooking up 3 fans through a 3 to 1 connector will be fine according to this info on Arctic's website.

When I was putting my system together the Arctic 360 was my first choice, but availability was limited, so I got the NZXT as a second option.

Hope this helps!

wade7575

@Dwayne I seen this seller on amazon selling the Arctic 360 ii for 159.99 then I went back in 2 days and the price had gone up to 179.99,I checked ebay and seen the same seller selling the Arctic 360 ii for 159.99 and the same 14.99 for the shipping as on amazon so I decided to grab 1 before they hiked the price.

If you still want one you may want to grab one before the price goes up.

I didn't think it was going to matter which way it was hooked up,I just thought maybe the pumps put out a different signal or something like that.

Thanks for your help,

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/255418658566

Dwayne

Thanks for the info, but that ship has long sailed :) I am thinking that my next build will be air cooled.

Lysrin

Thanks for the info, but that ship has long sailed :) I am thinking that my next build will be air cooled.
Although not quite as cool looking, I am enjoying the relaxing simplicity of returning to an air cooled build myself ;)

Izerous

Folding Team
I didn't think it was going to matter which way it was hooked up,I just thought maybe the pumps put out a different signal or something like that.
Cpu Fan header without anything plugged into it will cause post failures until you modify the BIOS. Cpu Fan header will also greatly vary the fan speed based on CPU temperature. You really don't want the pump ramping up and down usually best to leave the pump at a constant speed.

Fan headers are usually capped around 1A, Pump headers usually are closer to 2-2.5A.

Custom loop I power the pumps via molex and just run the tach lead to the motherboard. Most boards don't have 2 pump headers so I only monitor one of the pumps.

I'm still very much in the camp of go air or go custom loop and skip the AIOs.

wade7575

Cpu Fan header without anything plugged into it will cause post failures until you modify the BIOS. Cpu Fan header will also greatly vary the fan speed based on CPU temperature. You really don't want the pump ramping up and down usually best to leave the pump at a constant speed.

Fan headers are usually capped around 1A, Pump headers usually are closer to 2-2.5A.

Custom loop I power the pumps via molex and just run the tach lead to the motherboard. Most boards don't have 2 pump headers so I only monitor one of the pumps.

I'm still very much in the camp of go air or go custom loop and skip the AIOs.
I would rather go air as well but my friend also has the mobo and cpu and tried going air with it and his i9 9900K with the Noctua NH15D was not enough to keep him below 85 degree's and it would get hotter yet sometimes.

I know custom loops are good but with how much they cost I don want to spend that much,I seen a video of a guy with an i9 9900K and keeping cool with an Arctic 360 ii and in the mid 55's is pretty good if you ask me,I just don't feel like spending 300 plus on a custom loop and it doesn't cool any better even if it does I can't see it be much better then mid 50's with the cpu running at 85 to 95%.

I use Handbrake a lot to reencode video and other video processing task's,I figure if I get 6 to 7 years from it for 159 Cad and it keep's my cpu in the mid 50's I'll be happy.

wade7575

I hear what you guys are saying about returning to air cooling,if AMD keeps making great cpu's and they make an 8 core that is blazing fast like the i9 9900K and can be air cooled and kept around 55 to 65C at the most like my i7 6800K I would gladly switch back.

I know my 6800K never got past 61 to 62C running it stock with a Noctua NH-D15 and getting the cpu to around 85 or 90% load,I really miss the air cooled day's you only had to worry about replacing fan's.

gingerbee

I am just wondering why you are comparing temps from older CPUs with fewer cores when anything under 95c is fine for AMD unless it's the noise you're worried about, Also I am pretty sure there are several AMD CPUs that beat the 9900k. my 3900x is on air and with an ambient room temp of 24 I never see anything over 80c and that's on a Noctua U12s black not even the highest end cooler I could get.

Izerous

Folding Team
1655924480791.png

"8" cores (plus some extra) below 55'c... not running prime 95 or anything like that but not exactly idle and current ambient temps near 24.5'c

There are some serious inefficiencies in what I did to the radiators so temperatures should be lower than that. Loop is even low on liquid but I have a new res to swap in so I haven't been really doing the maintenance I should have. I'm even in performance mode to boot not eco or anything silly.

Fan curve is also from the 5800x have not updated it since installing the 5950x

Latest posts