What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Question about my Crucial M500 480GB

sakage.shinga

Hi guys,

I'm installing a Crucial M500 480GB SSD on my new rig, and I'm wondering if I should partition it. I figure that OS + Apps will take up about 80GB, max 100GB, that leaves me 380-400GB for game installations. I also have a Caviar Black 2TB HDD that will load games that don't benefit from SSD speeds. My question is whether I should partition my SSD (e.g. 80GB for OS, 400GB for games on a separate partition) and use the larger partition as cache for my HDD, or simply leave the SSD untouched.

Scenario 1) SSD holds OS + Apps + Games, unpartitioned. HDD holds rest of games.
Scenario 2) SSD holds OS + Apps on 1 partition, Games on separate partition. HDD holds rest of games
Scenario 3) SSD holds OS + Apps on 1 partition, 2nd partition used as smart cache for HDD. HDD holds all games, but is now a "hybrid" drive?

Thanks for any input!!!

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Scenario 1 is simplest. I'm not sure you can use only part of a SSD as a cache drive.

enaberif

Honestly whats the point to partioning a SSD even if you could? It literally makes no difference in the end.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
really? I didn't know you couldn't partition an ssd?

You can partition it to your heart's desire. I'm not sure it's possible to use a secondary partition as a cache drive for your HDD while using the primary partition as an OS.

sakage.shinga

Here's another question. I'm having second thoughts about the Crucial M500. Would the Samsung 840 Evo 500GB be a better choice in terms of reliability? I know it is noticeably faster than the M500, but honestly I don't really care about that so long as the Crucial isn't dead slow. I care much more about longevity and reliability - which SSD wins? If both are the same, then i might just change over to the Samsung since it can be had for a few dollars less yet is faster.

AkG

Short answer....nope.
Longer answer....hell NO.

The EVO uses TLC NAND. Sure Sammy are claiming its second gen TLC but, IMNSHO tri-level (ie SIX states) is not ready for prime-time and Sammy once again are using peeps as guinea pigs. Give it 2-3 more years before even looking at TLC. Stick with the Crucial. :thumb:

sakage.shinga

Short answer....nope.
Longer answer....hell NO.

The EVO uses TLC NAND. Sure Sammy are claiming its second gen TLC but, IMNSHO tri-level (ie SIX states) is not ready for prime-time and Sammy once again are using peeps as guinea pigs. Give it 2-3 more years before even looking at TLC. Stick with the Crucial. :thumb:

Haha OK, sticking with the Crucial. Thanks!!!

Latest posts