What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Question about PCIe slots on my Asus P7P55D Pro mobo

sakage.shinga

Hi guys,

I have the Asus P7P55D Pro mobo, and right now my sole 5850 video card is inserted into the top most x16 PCIe slot (the mobo has three, the top two in x16, and the bottom one x4). However, having the video card in this location blocks out the x1 PCIe slot directly below it, leaving me with only one x1 slot open for my Asus Xonar DX soundcard.

My problem right now is that I'm getting a new video card that is thicker, either the Gigabyte 6970 OC 2GB or perhaps even the Asus 6970 2GB DirectCU II, which takes up a lot of room. If I were to swap one of these new cards in, chances are both of the x1PCIe slots would become blocked, then what would I do with the Xonar DX soundcard?

Suggestions? Can I simply move the new video card to the middle x16 PCIe?

Thanks!

jumpload

Banned
from what i can tell you still have pci-e slots left on your mobo and your only using one video card so ~ 1x,4x,8x,16x are all backwards compatible meaning a 1x card should work in a 16x slot,failing that if i remember right theirs some top of the line x-fi sound cards that were made in pci format worse case scenario.

Twitter